PDA

View Full Version : An interesting piece of wood

tony_A
14th February 2018, 08:24 PM
A mate of mine who knows I do a bit of turning gave me what he described as an interesting piece of wood. A piece of blackwood crotch limb wood. The shape of the piece suggested it might make a small vase so here it is. Height is 180 mm and diameter 120; hollowed through the base; finished with Rusting Danish Oil and polished with eee.
Will give it to his wife, see if I can get her as keen as he is in looking out for interesting pieces of wood.

As always, comments and criticisms welcome

Tony

Nubsnstubs
15th February 2018, 01:24 AM
Beautiful piece of wood, and the execution is noteworthy also. Thanks for posting it. I hope your wife helps in finding wood, because you can never have too much wood. ......... Jerry (in Tucson) USA

artme
15th February 2018, 06:23 AM
You are right, it is an interesting piece of wood!

Congrats. for turning it without, apparently, any real hassles!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Rusting Danish oil! Does that add some redness?:D

Christos
15th February 2018, 02:18 PM
That is a very dark piece of wood with what almost looks like two pieces of wood glued together because of the very different grain directions.

Well done on getting this done how long did it take you in the sanding?

brainstrust
15th February 2018, 05:46 PM
Fantastic, luv the wood, luv the shape and luv the finish :2tsup:
Wish I could find interesting wood like that!

tony_A
15th February 2018, 06:15 PM
Thanks Jerry, artme, Christos and brainstrust.
Turned the piece to get the feather grain of the crotch running from the base up the centre of the neck. Yes there was quite a bit of sanding, not sure how long it took. A combination of an old, dry piece of wood and mediocre gouge skills. With a piece of wood like this you can pretty much guarantee that you will be turning against the grain in a couple of spots. However I think the effort is worth it. Next time I will try wetting the piece before the final cut to see if that helps. Any other suggestions?

Tony

Nubsnstubs
16th February 2018, 01:58 AM
Tony, can you show a picture of the bottom? .......... Jerry (in Tucson) USA

tony_A
16th February 2018, 08:36 PM
Here you go Jerry.

Tenon was turned off between centres and the plug in the base was carved with a rotary tool leaving a textured finish. Not totally happy with the fit of the plug but that gives me something to work on next time.

Tony