PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Lathes

malleeboy
17th February 2018, 01:39 PM
Have any members purchased a Laguna Lathe in the past year or so and what has been the experience received. Our Wood Club is hoping to purchase some new lathes and these appear, from the outside looking in, a good value purchase.s

DaveTTC
17th February 2018, 08:28 PM
Have any members purchased a Laguna Lathe in the past year or so and what has been the experience received. Our Wood Club is hoping to purchase some new lathes and these appear, from the outside looking in, a good value purchase.sI have the revo 18 36. Thoroughly happy with it. The next size up was to my understanding (back in 2015) a rebadged something else and not as good as the smaller one which wss designed by Laguna.

Recently I have seen on facebook the larger one and it appears it may be a Laguna own design now.

I've had one person say the tool rest does not go down low enough. I have never found that a problem myself and can only talk from my own experience. Not long after getting mine I happened to have an evening with Richard Raffin who had tried one out and was impressed with it.

It is by far the best of my lathes

DaveTTC
The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood Into Art

smiife
17th February 2018, 08:45 PM
Hi malleeboy , has your club thought about buying an
Australian lathe woodfast /vicmarc?

QC Inspector
18th February 2018, 05:10 AM
If you ruled out the homegrown machines then skip the middlemen selling Chinese lathes and consider buying direct. Harvey make 3 sizes, T-40, T-50 & T-60. Grizzly is selling the T-60 with their name on it, same as the T-60. You can buy direct or through Alibaba and since you said "lathes" you may get better pricing and shipping for a multiple order. The only difference would be if there is a problem you'll have to remove and install the replacement parts rather than sending it back or getting local service from a local store.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/T-40-Mini-Woodworking-Lathe_60146060645.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.48.39912528LbOwTG

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/T-50-CE-Variable-Speed-Woodworking_60454904514.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.58.39912528LbOwTG

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/T-60-CE-T-60-Variable_60476481607.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.77.39912528LbOwTG

And the Grizzly version. 24" x 48" Heavy-Duty Wood Lathe | Grizzly Industrial (http://www.grizzly.com/products/24-x-48-Heavy-Duty-Wood-Lathe/G0800)

Pete

DaveTTC
19th February 2018, 05:44 PM
From memory the larger Laguna than mine was a rebadged Harvey which may be rebadged under a few names. It has a rather small belt and the spindle lock and handwheel were close eniugh ti be a jambing issue on your hand if you grabbed the handwheel wrong.

There are many options out there including 'Australian made' even if they are made overseas and assembled here.

Have any members purchased a Laguna Lathe in the past year or so and what has been the experience received.
In answer to this question, Yes, as stated above.

Our Wood Club is hoping to purchase some new lathes and these appear, from the outside looking in, a good value purchase.s

With respect this statement I would have to agree. These appear to be excellent value for money. Two years on, but sadly not as much use as I would like, there is nothing that has dissapointed me abiut this lathe, it is what I expected.

Buy VicMarc and you support an Aussie business (about twice as much $$$). Last I heard their parts are made in Asia and assembled here.

Woodfast was Aussie and then if my sources are correct was sold overseas but an Aussie component stayed. I believe there is an Aussie version of woodfast still available. Im not sure if it is made manufactured here or just assembled here. Either way you are supporting an Aussie business.

More than happy to stand corrected if any of my statements are false. Just working off things I've heard second hand in respect VicMarc and Woodfast.

Laguna ... not sure where it is made but believe it os fully imported by at least one Aussie business maybe more. One way or another you are still supporting an Aussie business who employs Aussies.

Should you ever be out my way you are welcome to try out my Laguna. I have a VicMarc, Hafco MC 900, shopmith x 2, treadle lathe, couple of home made lathes, myford, Nova 3000 and few others. I had a Jet mini which I wish I still had, was handy for some stuff when the others were tied up.

I have nothing against VicMarc or Woodfast, dont have a woodfast .... yet [emoji6]

Steer clear of an MC 900 or 1100 IMHO

My Nova is good but had to be tweaked as some of the tolerances were not so good. It is also manual speed change. To some this does not matter but I much prefer Electronic Variable Speed Control (something I would like to fit to all my lathes). The only way to fit this to my treadle and pole lathe that I like would be via musical inspiration lol.

I dont like pivot headstocks as to me there is always an issue of alignment. I know some wont agree with me on this and that is fine. The sliding headstock is great for me. If i want to turn something larger than the swing under the bed I slide to the end of the bed.

DaveTTC
The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood Into Art

pommyphil
19th February 2018, 05:51 PM
I thought the Vicmarc castings were made in Thailand and machined in Queensland ?

DaveTTC
19th February 2018, 05:55 PM
I thought the Vicmarc castings were made in Thailand and machined in Queensland ?That may be a more accurate understanding. Thx [emoji106]

DaveTTC
The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood Into Art

Optimark
23rd February 2018, 07:38 PM
Dave, a question regarding a hand brake wheel. The Laguna doesn't seem to have one, if it does, it must be really small; do they have one?

I have to agree with regard to value for money, although one doesn't know how long they will last. They seem to be designed to facilitate some very different and interesting turning techniques.

The sliding head to the end should make for an extremely robust set-up, this does though, make one wonder how long the OEM power lead is. In my situation, I have my 15A power socket very near to where the left of the lathe is, would it allow a full slide and still be able to be plugged in? I don't wish to have the power located centrally, as one day it could become a target; if you know what I mean.

With pretty much all of the accessories, this lathe is still looking good price wise; I really like the look of that wheel system.

My Men's Shed has the Laguna band saw with the extra light, which interestingly, comes from the lathe. The articulated lathe light on the band saw, is fantastic. Having two of these lights on a lathe, one either end, would certainly help my aging eyesight. I have a similar, almost identical machinery light from Hafco on my current lathe, same size and powered by the same 50W Tungsten globe; I've never had it so good.

Mick.

DaveTTC
23rd February 2018, 08:55 PM
Gday Mick,

Personally i dont like the flexi light for turning. Ive gone for two over head led fluro style lights. I think they are 18 w each. Even with a skylight I notice the difference when they are turned on.

The lead should be long enough to reach as you slide the headstock to the other end. When I'm back home I'll try amd take a lic of my set up.

DaveTTC
The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood Into Art

Mobyturns
23rd February 2018, 11:27 PM
I thought the Vicmarc castings were made in Thailand and machined in Queensland ?

The reality is manufacturing is a dying industry in Oz. We can't compete with low wage countries, and artificial subsidies. With the closure of larger manufacturing industries in Australia all of the ancillary manufacturing concerns such as foundaries become no longer viable . So its very reassuring to see Vicmarc hanging in there with top quality products and sourcing parts / components globally, just like any other viable manufacturing business..

Optimark
24th February 2018, 08:51 AM
Thank you Dave, I'll await your reply after you check out your lathe.

As for lighting, well; wait till you age a bit more... :oo:

Trust me when I say; with age, more light on the job is a requirement.

I have three double 1.2m LED lights above my lathe, I still find having an articulated light on the lathe the best thing going. I don't know about you, but I have no idea how an overhead light goes up the inside of a bowl.

I have one of these, positively brilliant, literally and figuratively. https://old.machineryhouse.com.au/L285

Mick.

Austurn
24th February 2018, 09:37 PM
Austurn
Hi Malleeboy
I have demonstrated at several shows using the 18/36 and been very impressed with its robustness and the accessories available. It is much better than my Jet 16/42. My club is currently waiting on news of a grant with which we will be buying a 18/36. I might also mention we will be buying a VL150 with the same grant.