PDA

View Full Version : Yes mi,lady

Dalboy
20th February 2018, 09:04 AM
I am getting some turning in at the moment trying to do all the little jobs I have promised as well as some pieces for club competitions, then hopefully back to normal bits and pieces.

I have been asked to make a lady figure from some yew and not having ever done one before thought I would do a quick practice, even then I have taken it right through to the finish.

Body is Ash and the hat is Laburnum it stands 6b 1/4" tall and 2" at its widest point. Finished with sander sealer and buffed on the Chestnut system.

chambezio
20th February 2018, 09:08 AM
Well done indeed. Can you go through the process? Three offset centres? What is the spacing?

Dalboy
20th February 2018, 09:24 AM
Well done indeed. Can you go through the process? Three offset centres? What is the spacing?

The simple answer is no, but if you wait until the morning(10:30pm here) I will find the end and get the measurments of the offsets and be able to tell you what length I started with and then try and do a run through when I have all the information as I did this by the seat of my pants in other word worked it out as I went after seeing some already made at our club.
Mind you it was great fun doing it. The one in Yew that I plan to make is going to be larger

chambezio
20th February 2018, 09:50 AM
I have run into trouble a number of times when I see something and think "Oh, that looks easy to do...." and quickly found out that it don't! One such case was me trying a segmented bowl....I quickly ran into trouble with that one.

Christos
20th February 2018, 06:16 PM
I have run into trouble a number of times when I see something and think "Oh, that looks easy to do...." and quickly found out that it don't! One such case was me trying a segmented bowl....I quickly ran into trouble with that one.

I hope to be of some encouragement to you as I think off center turnings are fun when making. I do agree it can be a little nervous when you cut too much off. :U I have to tell you straight out that I can not recall if I ever made any completed pieces and I think the only one that would be considered a piece was a snow man with the top part of his body off center and the head and hat in line with the bottom part of the body. It did not look right and I did not keep it, just not sure if I processed him to shavings or recycled him to the bin. :innocent:

Getting back to what I am saying is with anything tried once is the need to practice. I know that I certainly will need to do that when I want to make an off center piece.

Dalboy
21st February 2018, 03:39 AM
Chambezio first an appology no write up as you will now have to wait until tomorrow and hopefully a bit better than just a write up on how I marked and turned this piece. Now the reason, I am making another one and have changed something slightly as well as taking some photo's to go with it which will help explain it a bit better. It would have been finished today but life gets in the way sometimes in the form of great grandchildren:roll:.

Only have the head and hat to complete tomorrow then I will post as promised

artme
21st February 2018, 05:06 AM
A very elegant lady indeed!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Have had ideas of doing somethin like this after seeing similar turning in Italy.

crowie
21st February 2018, 08:31 AM
Now Derek, That's one classy lady, obviously modeled off your beloved!! Cheers, Peter

Dalboy
21st February 2018, 09:17 AM
Thank you Artme and Peter. Peter I am not so sure that my wife would even agree with that:lolabove:

Dalboy
22nd February 2018, 04:38 AM
As promised I did manage to complete the second one and did a W.I.P. and started a new thread for it HERE (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/yes-mi-lady-mkii-219828)

Keith_1
25th February 2018, 07:42 AM
Top work Derek

Regards

Keith