PDA

View Full Version : More Jarrah Burls

Willy Nelson
26th February 2018, 11:23 AM
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen
I have been very quiet here and no posts of recent times, but

Must be the season for getting Jarrah Burls. This is part of 2 ton of Jarrah burls, mostly slices, but some caps. More Jarrah burl to come, this should keep me busy for winter.
As I have so much and they are cut a little thinner than I would have, I am using them differently. Obviously, photos to come soon. I am gluing a waste black to a natural edge burl and turning them flat on the top and then turning a shallow dish. The waste block is then removed and the base sanded. Not for the faint hearted, but it saves some timber, they look great as well. Photos soon.

Some of the slices are 1.5 - 2.0 meters across. 3 of the big ones are actually machined flat, just need a final sand and finish and attach legs.

Willy
Jarrahland

splinterz25
28th February 2018, 11:57 AM
Great score ...I see a lot of large platters and plates there.

Christos
28th February 2018, 01:06 PM
I am also waiting to see what you have created.

artful bodger
28th February 2018, 06:51 PM
Nice looking timber, surprised you can still get away with it over there without throngs of rabid environmentalists wanting to string you up. Enjoy it while you can.

dai sensei
28th February 2018, 07:00 PM
Wow that's a score well done. Not the sand pit I assume though, did you win an auction or something?

Willy Nelson
28th February 2018, 08:35 PM
Wow that's a score well done. Not the sand pit I assume though, did you win an auction or something?

Hello Neil
Nope, not the Sandpit (although it has yielded very well of late. This was a collection of Burls from a fellow in the timber industry, more to come I am just helping him out.
Will take some more photos on the weekend when I can.
Sincerely
Willy

Willy Nelson
28th February 2018, 08:37 PM
Nice looking timber, surprised you can still get away with it over there without throngs of rabid environmentalists wanting to string you up. Enjoy it while you can.

No problems at all cutting burls on private land. I have access to quite a few properties.
There are only two licensed burl harvesters in WA legal to cu burls on Crown land, I happen to know both of them too well unfortunately
Willy

Willy Nelson
5th March 2018, 06:42 PM
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen
In the process of oiling these Jarrah burls from my latest haul. The natural edged burls were glued to a waste block and then the block held in the chuck. They were turned, sanded and finished with Danish oil. The base was sanded flat.
Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland

smiife
5th March 2018, 07:44 PM
Very nice willie , looking great , well done :2tsup:

tony_A
5th March 2018, 09:46 PM
Three great looking bowls there Willy.
How much is the Danish Oil adding to the colour and what brand of Danish do you use?

Tony

Willy Nelson
6th March 2018, 12:34 AM
Hello Tony
I use Feast Watson, it is actually Scandinavian Oil
Willy

bueller
6th March 2018, 12:38 AM
Lovely stuff Willy! Haven’t turned any burl yet, love the idea of gluing it to a sacrificial board. Will keep that in mind for future!

artme
6th March 2018, 05:13 AM
Well done Willy!! Some very intersting grain in those pieces!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Just wondering how hard on the tools the burl is?

Willy Nelson
6th March 2018, 11:00 AM
Well done Willy!! Some very intersting grain in those pieces!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Just wondering how hard on the tools the burl is?

Hello Mate
Jarrah burl, like a lot of Jarrah can be hugely different in colour (light pink to deep maroon), and dependant upon where it grows, will vary hugely in hardness, silicon content etc. Compared to most timbers I turn, I consider it soft.

For example, I may be able to 2-3 Jarrah burl platters without sharpening my chisel, yet other timbers (Wandoo Burl, Salmon Gum burl, York Gum burl) I may need to sharpen after every couple of passes.
Sincerely
Willy