PDA

View Full Version : Overhead routing

gregmcki
11th August 2002, 09:37 PM
I want to route a gutter 30cm from the top of a plank of pine 2000mm Long by 140mm wide, 35mm deep. I have the new trtion table and it would seem for this length that it would be better to have the wood stabilsed as in a overhead routing mode than using the protector as a stabilser.

Is this correct before I go out and buy the optional router mounting plate

Kev Y.
12th August 2002, 08:57 PM
gregmcki, mate, I would suggest that overhead routing is the best way to go. from experience, it is less stressful on the router.

Kev.

Sandy Johnston
14th August 2002, 12:39 PM
Is this what you mean? http://popularmechanics..com/home_improvement/workshop/1997/2/pin_router/

or do you mean to use the router face down on the 2000 worktable and pass the timber underneath?

I have sucessfully used the second method to rout thick rails for a sliding door project, on a 100x50 x 2000
A couple of problems arose that were easially overcome.
One was to keep the timber up to the fence and used the miter-guage with the "finger" pushing the timber to the rail and the second was supporting the length but the multi stands did this.
3 (slow) passes down to 15mm and the final pass at 3mm with a 25mm diameter cutter produced a realy clean finish.

goodluck -
Sandy across the ditch