PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Revo 24/36 Lathe, anyone have one?

Optimark
1st March 2018, 07:38 PM
I've been looking at the Laguna lathes for the last 18 months, the 18/36 seems to be really good, going on what the people who have one are saying.

But I'm now looking at the bigger unit, the 24/36 and have found that there is nothing I can find from anyone in Australia with one. I know there are some out there, all stock of that unit is currently sold out. Somewhere out there, there may be a member of this forum with one.

I'm after feed back of any kind, good bad or indifferent.

Mick.

Old Croc
1st March 2018, 07:53 PM
Mick, I have the early model full cast iron bed version. Ask away.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Optimark
2nd March 2018, 08:31 PM
I didn't know the earlier model was sold in Australia, although I'm not entirely sure what early model you have. I've tried to figure out what it is called, but there does seem to be confusion; mainly on my part, about which model is which. I'm assuming you have the 24/36, which doesn't have Revo in its name?

My thoughts about the larger unit, Revo 24/36 compared to the smaller unit Revo 18/36 were more about some of the user features; the extra control console at the tail stock end, the bed extension which can be put on the side, end of the bed and below the end of the bed for end of the rail turning of normal stuff and/or larger stuff.

I also wondered about the rigidity when the head was at the tail stock end when the bed extension was being used as well as the tail stock on its riser on the bed extension as well as the rather large and presumably heavy banjo. Which would make one think the unit could be slightly tail stock end heavy, if you know what I mean?

I also wondered about the general impression of the unit and pros and cons from the individual user perspective.

Mick.

Old Croc
2nd March 2018, 10:29 PM
Mick, the one I have was the original Laguna Revo 24/36 with the cast iron bed, 3 HP variable speed. These lathes were made in China by Harvey Heavy Industries, same bed casting as a Powermatic. They were sold in NZ as a Harvey T60 from memory, but Laguna had the Aussie market tied up through Gregory Machinery, if what I have read is true. These lathes are sold in the US as a Grizzly and some other brand. About a year ago they changed to a welded steel bed and thats the one that is now available here, with the controls on the head and tailstock.
My main reason for getting mine was the sliding headstock as I do architectural turnings and I repair large ship wheels and I did not want to work outboard of a fixed headstock.
I don't think there is any lathe in the world that I would be happy with straight out of the box. I did consider buying a VB36 or a Oneway for a while, till mine came on the market.
1st thing I did was buy a 2nd banjo and I cut the handles off them and replaced them with my own design, to make them more ergonomically acceptable. I bought all the gear to make a movable remote control, but I got used to the factory controls as they are in the same position as my other lathe. One day I will change the pot for the speed control to a one turn slow to fast, rather than the 10 turn as fitted. I regret not buying the bed extension as my other lathe is 2.4 M between centres and I could use the extra length at present to use my new hollowing rig.
I did have a play with the new version at Gregorys last time I was there, it seemed to be good, just felt funny having the controls on top of the headstock. Sorry I can't give you an apples with apples comparison, but do a websearch and there are a few reviews on a US forum.
Rgds,
Crocy

Optimark
3rd March 2018, 09:06 AM
The sliding headstock is something that I like, having sometimes used machines with a bit of weight on them, balanced or unbalanced, the standout difference was the stability of a non swivel head unit compared to a swiveling head unit. I also like the idea of being able to turn platters/bowls straight on, instead of twisting myself. Having once experienced this on a Stubby lathe, I've sort of hankered after this possibility ever since.

I will certainly get the bed extension, I'm not in the business of making verandah posts, but the possible versatility requirements down the track are never foreseen. I purchased a Laser engraver in the 90's for my then business, there were a couple of options available and the decision was made to purchase them with the machine as a package. One of the options was a rotating material holder, which, in the eyes of my business partner (my wife), was nothing but an expensive piece of junk. An unexpected enquiry by a customer lead to a very nice contract that used up spare time on the laser to the point where we were having difficultly finding downtime for maintenance.

Your non apples with apples comparison is well liked, thank you very much.

Mick.