PDA

View Full Version : How to find thread size on used lathe - Carbatec MC1100

Seraphim
5th March 2018, 11:17 AM
Hi Forum,

Have just purchased a used lathe, a basic carbatec badged (Chineseclone type) MC1100 lathe, which is the same as the one I owned in the UK, sogood for what I want to do for now. Itdidn’t come with a faceplate or MT2 so I need to buy a scroll chuck (probably arecord power SC4), but how do I find out what thread the lathe is for theinsert? Carbatec now make a differentlathe with cast iron legs rather than this wl20 style lathe, but I don’t knowif they use the same thread (m30 x 3.5 on their new stuff) as the old oneshad??

Looking forward to getting back to turning as soon as I canget this up and running (and build a workshed for it to live in!)

Paul39
5th March 2018, 12:58 PM
With used equipment almost any spindle diameter and thread may turn up. Halfway down this page are the many threads that may show up:

https://vicmarc.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=108&virtuemart_category_id=16&Itemid=527

Clean the threads with a rag and rub a magic marker on them. Lay a piece of paper over the spindle and rub to transfer marks to paper, best to get the whole spindle on it. Lay it down and put a metric and imperial ruler on the marks to see if you get the 3.5 metric interval or threads per inch.

For diameter, wrap a piece of paper around spindle, mark start and finish, measure between marks. That is circumference. Divide by pi - 3.1415 to get diameter.

If you are going to a shop to buy the chuck, take all the pieces of paper and calculations with you.

Edit: This claims 1 inch X 10 TPI:

https://www.machines4u.com.au/view/advert/LEDACRAFT-MC-1100-WOOD-LATHE/318239/

China
5th March 2018, 03:18 PM
Have you contacted Carbatec and asked them

pommyphil
5th March 2018, 04:10 PM
put callipers on the spindle, if 30mm it's metric 30X3.5.. if one inch will probably be 1"X8tpi or 1"X10tpi.

Seraphim
6th March 2018, 11:20 AM
Thanks all. I will of course call carbatec when I get time.I have a feeling it’ll be m30 x 3.5, and will verify with digital callipers. Foundsome great guides on these basic lathes from Charnwood, and even a supplier ofthose damned pulleys that I can’t find ANYWHERE online!