PDA

View Full Version : Large Cole jaws/chuck advice or recommendations

Lyle
13th March 2018, 07:23 PM
As the title says. Any advice on makers distributors and or advice to make my own.
Plans materials etc.
Happy to take advice and directions.
Thanks in advance
Lyle

Pat
13th March 2018, 07:42 PM
Lyle, what chuck do you have, as it will limit the options available.

eg Vicmarc have jaws to 223mm and cole (bowl) jaws to 485mm, Nova/Teknatool jaws max out at 130mm and the cole jaws 304mm

Lyle
13th March 2018, 07:59 PM
I have a Teknatool chuck with their Nova cole jaws. They max out at about 260mm outside.
So I want more. ����
Looks like I need to check out the Vicmarc.
Or make my own.
Lyle

Pat
13th March 2018, 08:34 PM
Lyle, I use a 502mm Longsworth chuck. I have the 260mm, 304mm and the GPW extension 350mm cole jaws.

I run the Teknatool chucks SN II and Titan II, so use the Nova jaws.

I also have a MDF version, around 400mm. There are a few plans on the net for that and Longsworth chucks.

hughie
13th March 2018, 08:59 PM
Lyle I run 600mm Longworth chuck made out of Poly carbonate on a face plate and another smaller one 300mm that fits onto one of my Teknatool chucks.
This pretty well does me for what I turn and has lasted over 12 years so far.

Lyle
13th March 2018, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I am going to research the longworth. Plans materials etc.
Thanks for the photos.
Very much appreciated. ����
Lyle.

Lyle
14th March 2018, 12:41 PM
Opinions please on the McJings 400MM Longworth chuck. This one seems to fit the wish list requirements. I know they are for light work, eg finishing the bottom of a bowl. Would this one flex, how tight can you get them to grip if it is using just finger holes. Any other issues to consider?
https://mcjing.com.au/
I have also seen a few descriptions on making them as well.
Hughie did you make that one it looks terrific!
Thanks
Lyle.

hughie
14th March 2018, 06:25 PM
Opinions please on the McJings 400MM Longworth chuck. This one seems to fit the wish list requirements. I know they are for light work, eg finishing the bottom of a bowl. Would this one flex, how tight can you get them to grip if it is using just finger holes. Any other issues to consider?
https://mcjing.com.au/
I have also seen a few descriptions on making them as well.
Hughie did you make that one it looks terrific!
Thanks
Lyle.

Yes it was being thrown out at work :)

Nubsnstubs
15th March 2018, 03:09 AM
Lyle, if you were to visit my website, Wood Turning Tools | Tucson | WoodTurners WorkHolding Solutions (http://www.woodturnerstools.com) and take a look at the Tail Stock Steady, that might suit your needs better than the chucks you asked about.

I also have some videos posted on youtube under Nubsnstubs that show it being used. My videos lack finesse as I'm a woodturner, not a movie maker. ............ Jerry (in Tucson)USA

Lyle
15th March 2018, 11:01 AM
Thanks Jerry. Looks an impressive bit of kit.
Thanks for posting that link.
I think I'll stay with the more traditional method.
Lyle.