PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on bits for sink installation

Wild Dingo
2nd October 2005, 04:01 AM
Ive just about finished installing the cupboards for her highness but now Ive got the new ubeaut sink Im buggared if I know what bit one uses to cut a sink area out of a laminate Kitchen benchtop?

Thanks in advance
Shane

Barry_White
2nd October 2005, 11:47 AM
I used a jigsaw to cut mine out. I would put some masking tape down and mark your outline on that. This will stop the laminate from chipping to much.

Wild Dingo
2nd October 2005, 01:08 PM
Thanks Barry

Will have to use the router as the jigsaws snaffooed itself :( ... so unless I go buy a newy :cool: (not a shabby idea but out of the question just now as she has fire in her eyes about all the spending on tools Ive been doin lately :rolleyes: ) it will have to be the router

Will do on the masking tape idea mate cheers :cool:

Harry72
2nd October 2005, 04:27 PM
Ding cut out a template from scrap and run the router around it with a template guide.

doug the slug
2nd October 2005, 09:11 PM
Will have to use the router as the jigsaws snaffooed itself :( ... so unless I go buy a newy :cool: (not a shabby idea but out of the question just now as she has fire in her eyes about all the spending on tools Ive been doin lately :rolleyes: ) it will have to be the router

Dingo get some backbone about you mate, dont take this cr@p, this is a golden opportunity to say "Well your highness if you want it in (the sink that is) this weekend i need a new jigsaw, give me $50, im off to bunnings". ANd make sure you call in to the local watering hole on the way there or backhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

ozwinner
2nd October 2005, 09:14 PM
Dingo get some backbone about you mate, dont take this cr@p, this is a golden opportunity to say "Well your highness if you want it in (the sink that is) this weekend i need a new jigsaw, give me $50, im off to bunnings". ANd make sure you call in to the local watering hole on the way there or backhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Love your work Doug. :D

Al :D

MrFixIt
3rd October 2005, 12:59 PM
Hi

I agree with Doug. You have the IDEAL opportunity to purchase a new jigsaw. There is no doubt about it the js is MUCH better than using the router for this job. Besides, you don't need the finish a router provides, for the inside of a sink cutout, it's going to be covered by the sink anyway :D

Buy a down cutting js blade too as this will almost eliminate any chipping of the laminate. Any rough laminate edges left from this will be covered by the rim of the sink.

BTW if you were to do the job with a router a 1/4" spiral downcut bit would probably be your best bet er bit :D

Let us know what js you buy then ? :D

Wild Dingo
3rd October 2005, 02:00 PM
Strewth!! An here I thought I was bein a real conciensiously obediant fella too! ;)

So its a new jigsaw then? well... OKAY!!!! :cool:

Wahooeee new ubeaut router (for the new table!! cant have me gungy old one in the snaffy new table now can I? :cool: ) mmm I think I can feel her highness hittin a nice chocolate fit later today :o :rolleyes:

ah well suffa baby!! :p

MrFixIt
3rd October 2005, 02:30 PM
Strewth!! An here I thought I was bein a real conciensiously obediant fella too! ;)

So its a new jigsaw then? well... OKAY!!!! :cool:

Wahooeee new ubeaut router (for the new table!! cant have me gungy old one in the snaffy new table now can I? :cool: ) mmm I think I can feel her highness hittin a nice chocolate fit later today :o :rolleyes:

ah well suffa baby!! :pThat "suffa'ing" usually translates to a shopping spree of her own, eg new clothes, shoes or BOTH :D :D, the reknowned "Retail Therapy"

Wild Dingo
5th October 2005, 04:07 AM
OKAY!!!! Thanks to some bright spark who mentioned buying a new jigsaw... I did

Yep up to Perth yesty and today I went to Bunnys in Morley where one of my daughters works and has access to a wonderous thing called "staff discount" :D and an hour later I walked out with a new Black and Decker FIRESTORM!! whaaahooooooooo what a machine!! even does scroll work :cool: along with a mess of blades... and I even managed to remember the downcutting one! ;)

Soooo now I will just have to cut it with the jugsaw!! :cool:

But I also did something sly as well... I loaded the router table with the router!! hows that sly you ask? Well... now I have to buy a new ubeaut router!! cause of course a blokes gotta have a hand held router doesnt he!! ;) mmm thinkin Triton???... nah I think I'll just get another B&D cause the one Ive got Im pretty happy with just lost the 1/2in collet is all :rolleyes: and then I did see one of them smaller ones too soooo and Im due for a new drill maybe one of them 18v cordless ones with 2 batterys???... Im just thinkin in advace here I gotta have Chrissy pressys from someone!!! ;)