PDA

View Full Version : Table saw guard

Tom Andersen
2nd October 2005, 06:53 AM
Hi Guys,

I bought an old cast iron table saw a year or two ago and it works beautifully, so I use it more and more. I am a weekend warrior and I have never been taught woodworking so I am learning everything by reading and doing it. I have a question related to the guard.

The saw came with a fairly robust guard but I found that it most of the time got in the way for my push-shoe when ripping thin or small workpieces, so I have removed it. There is still a splitter though. It works fine, my only worry is that there is nothing that will catch a workpiece being thrown upwards.

What is the opinion of the woodworking veterans here? Blade guard or no blade guard?

Regards from Sweden

Tom

himzol
2nd October 2005, 07:51 AM
Hi Tom Welcome to the Forum,

My personal belief is that you should use the guard where ever possible. There are times when it just gets in the way. In saying this I have also removed the guard in order to rip small stock and as long as you are very carefull then there should be no problem.
If you are really concerned about it have you thought of making/buying an overhead guard which is not atached to the splitter.

Himzo.

Rocker
2nd October 2005, 09:16 AM
Tom,

This topic was discussed in another thread fairly recently. See http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=20852

Rocker

Ivan in Oz
2nd October 2005, 09:24 AM
OK you lot,
the mind has gone blank :o
I know I'll regret asking:-
What is TS?
Triton '5h17'??........Nah!!
What else :mad:

Rocker
2nd October 2005, 10:12 AM
OK you lot,
I know I'll regret asking:-
What is TS?
Triton '5h17'??........Nah!!
What else :mad:

Try the first two words of the title of this thread. Regret it?

Rocker

Wood Butcher
2nd October 2005, 10:57 AM
OK you lot,

Had that feeling all morning while working on 2 x 2000 words essays for uni. Came here to have a break. (Don't tell SWMBO :D)

soundman
2nd October 2005, 11:38 PM
Quietly now rowan, you've had enough organ related distress in your house for a while you don't need a spleen venting.
better get back to your asignments :D

anthonyd
3rd October 2005, 12:17 AM
I am no expert myself but I bought a pair of grippers - apparently one of the safest ways to rip thin stock.