PDA

View Full Version : Sawdust wanted

woodee
3rd October 2005, 11:01 AM
Hi...I AM LOOKING FOR SOME QUALITY FINE TO MEDIUM GRADE SAW DUST FOR MODELING PROJECTS.

bitingmidge
3rd October 2005, 11:14 AM
Woodee,

Before the flames set all the sawdust alight, I'm guessing IL is in the US, and since this is predominantly an Australian forum, you may not get much response from here that you will find useful.

You may find a US forum, or perhaps you could contact a local joinery shop.

Cheers,

P ;)

echnidna
3rd October 2005, 11:28 AM
How do you use sawdust for modelling?

craigb
3rd October 2005, 11:56 AM

Mix it with glue perhaps?

outback
3rd October 2005, 12:03 PM
Sprinkle some sawdust on the floor for the models to swan gracefully around on?

bitingmidge
3rd October 2005, 12:09 PM
500 ml (2 cups) sawdust
250 ml (1 cup) wallpaper paste
water

Mix sawdust and wallpaper paste with enough water to make mixture like soft putty.
Shape compound as desired.
Allow to dry.
Paint if desired.

From "Kindergarten Recipes (http://www.sasked.gov.sk.ca/docs/kindergarten/kindreci.html)"

The also have a really good recipe for "Drizzly Goop".

Cheers,

P
:D

echnidna
3rd October 2005, 12:25 PM
500 ml (2 cups) sawdust
250 ml (1 cup) wallpaper paste
water

Mix sawdust and wallpaper paste with enough water to make mixture like soft putty.
Shape compound as desired.
Allow to dry.
Paint if desired.

From "Kindergarten Recipes (http://www.sasked.gov.sk.ca/docs/kindergarten/kindreci.html)"

The also have a really good recipe for "Drizzly Goop".

Cheers,

P
:D

Anyone know where to get a mould for a full size dining chair? ;)

Harry72
3rd October 2005, 04:44 PM
DIY mdf chair?

Stuart
3rd October 2005, 05:09 PM
Hi...I AM LOOKING FOR SOME QUALITY FINE TO MEDIUM GRADE SAW DUST FOR MODELING PROJECTS.

Bloody strange website recommendation if you ask me. Would hate to stereotype a country based on one post.......

bitingmidge
3rd October 2005, 05:25 PM

I reckon Mrs Roger's little boy, Cliff has probably got a site bookmarked that features models and sawdust, and probably very brief swimwear as well!

Cheers,

P
:D :D :D

Oz.Man
4th October 2005, 10:19 AM

Model terrain makers also dye it various greens and browns and use it to simulate grass and earth. In the model terrain making world this product is known as "scatter" or "flock".

Cheers,

Oz Man

Waldo
5th October 2005, 09:09 AM
G'day Stuart,

Can I stereotype him? Just proves my point that yanks can't read and think every website comes from the US. :mad:

dan_tom
5th October 2005, 12:21 PM
Adding sawdust to paper mache is great. Gives it a stiffer mix and better moulding capacity.

Cheers
Dan

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th October 2005, 05:33 PM
I won't sterotype him. I'll even make him an offer: all the quality sawdust he can carry, at no charge. Hell, I'll even sort it into grades and timbers myself, with tweezers if need be! :D

Offer only open to woodee. Proxies or couriers void the offer.

Firewalker
6th October 2005, 12:58 AM
I frequently make a little saw dust and I am in the states. Texas that is.

The timber I am working with now is Cherry, Mahogony, Maple, Oak.

What color dust are you looking for and how much? You take care of the shipping and I will send to you.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Scott

DavidG
6th October 2005, 09:38 AM
I feel that a number of members of this board have yet to learn that this board has become popular world wide.

We are no-longer limited to Australian only and have members that can and do assist other members else where in the world.

What ever happened to the great Oz friendship?
Why do some members like to attack any body who is not from Oz?

echnidna
6th October 2005, 10:18 AM
Good comment DavidG

Its really up to all of us to educate the critics.
The new forum may be a big help.

Waldo
6th October 2005, 10:28 AM
:o (well i was going to retract my post, but I couldn't so I'll go sit in the corner until the teacher let's me go and play outside.

Wongo
6th October 2005, 10:36 AM
:mad:

Firewalker
6th October 2005, 04:35 PM
I feel that a number of members of this board have yet to learn that this board has become popular world wide.

I agree........I read this forum first and last each day and I think it is awesome that there are 4 pages of threads bumped.

I actually post / read more here than the one in America I am on. That guy got flamed a bit but not too much to stand.

I have on several occasions (not as often anymore but who knows) made matching filler "putty" from sawdust out of my ROS and glue. I am not sure what the need is but if I can help someone out with something I would normally throw away I would be glad to.

Ok.....carry on!

bitingmidge
6th October 2005, 05:02 PM
Ok.....carry on!

And good on you for responding too!

!
Cheers,

P

:D :D

davidt
6th October 2005, 05:53 PM
Woodee,
I've just had my floors sanded and ended up with 6 large garbage bags full of medium to fine sawdust. These have now gone to the tip, but if I was looking for quantities of sawdust, I'd speak to my local floor sanders, who'd be only too happy to get rid of it.

David

anthonyd
13th October 2005, 09:31 AM

Lettuce just has way too many calories these days so the models are turning to sawdust!