PDA

View Full Version : At last a great ship has sailed!

Capt.Blackbeard
3rd October 2005, 06:19 PM
At last has she returned and sailed.

What a great ship she is!!

Regards

http://www.ostindiefararen.com/indx_eng.htm http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

bitingmidge
3rd October 2005, 06:24 PM
Nice one Capt!

A bit late for Talk like a Pirate day, but keeping in the spirit of it by posting on a woodturning thread anyway!!

I guess that's cause there'd be a million trunnells and a few belaying pins on board eh?

Cheers,

P ;)

echnidna
3rd October 2005, 06:37 PM
There you are Daddles ...... a REAL boat :D :D

Ashore
3rd October 2005, 06:51 PM
There you are Daddles ...... a REAL boat :D :D

A Ship , Not a Boat :mad:
A ship can have its own boats on board, lifeboats , workboats, rescueboats.

But that is a ship ...................................... unless it's a float :D

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Russell

Robert WA
3rd October 2005, 07:02 PM
A ship can have its own boats on board, lifeboats , workboats, rescueboats.

But that is a ship ...................................... unless it's a float

OK. That is what I was always told, but, ocean going tugs have lifeboats and all tugs are boats, not ships????
Cap'n, please explain. Tugs forelock!!!!!

Daddles
3rd October 2005, 07:04 PM
Pah Bob. That's not a boat. That thing's a mere ship. Just big and ungainly. Couldn't haul that around behind the Falchoon could I.

Great looking old girl. You don't apreciate the size of these things until you see them being built do you.

Richard

ozwinner
3rd October 2005, 07:15 PM
Yarghh

Al :p

Ashore
5th October 2005, 06:06 PM
There is no difference between a boat and a ship contrary to popular belief that a boat only has one deck. The only official definition for a ship is found in part 1 of the Nav Act under "interpretations", but throughout the Act there are sub definitions depending on the trade, lenghts GRT's etc.

In short, a ship means any kind of vessel used in navigation by water, however propelled or moved and includes
(a) a barge lighter or other floating vessel
(b) an air cushioned vessel, or similar craft, used wholly or primarily in navigation by water
(c) an off-shore industry mobile unit - but (except in some further parts of the Act) does not include an off shore mobile industry unit that is not self propelled.

Regarding a tug, it falls into the category above, but a boat is a loosely used term in our eyes. Specific types of vessels like ocean going tugs are determined by the Class societies (albeit on AMSA's behalf in the case of Australian vessels) and are required to have specific equipment such as GMDSS kit, and other lifesaving equipment permanently fitted. The power capability and crew facilities may also have a bearing on the classifcation of these tugs.

I hope I have managed to help with the questions but once you start looking for definitions it can take hours as ther are several cross refernecs and exemptions etc.
This is from AMSA Thought you might like to know

darrenyorston
25th August 2006, 10:40 AM
There is no difference between a boat and a ship contrary to popular belief that a boat only has one deck. The only official definition for a ship is found in part 1 of the Nav Act under "interpretations", but throughout the Act there are sub definitions depending on the trade, lenghts GRT's etc.

In short, a ship means any kind of vessel used in navigation by water, however propelled or moved and includes
(a) a barge lighter or other floating vessel
(b) an air cushioned vessel, or similar craft, used wholly or primarily in navigation by water
(c) an off-shore industry mobile unit - but (except in some further parts of the Act) does not include an off shore mobile industry unit that is not self propelled.

Regarding a tug, it falls into the category above, but a boat is a loosely used term in our eyes. Specific types of vessels like ocean going tugs are determined by the Class societies (albeit on AMSA's behalf in the case of Australian vessels) and are required to have specific equipment such as GMDSS kit, and other lifesaving equipment permanently fitted. The power capability and crew facilities may also have a bearing on the classifcation of these tugs.

I hope I have managed to help with the questions but once you start looking for definitions it can take hours as ther are several cross refernecs and exemptions etc.
This is from AMSA Thought you might like to know

I was under the impression that ships are on top of the water, boats are under the water and turn ships into wrecks?

viking
1st September 2006, 06:38 PM
rrrrr
that all be true. but :eek:
you cannot put a ship on a boat,
but you can put a boat on ship me heartys. :)
aye
rrrrrrrrr:D viking