PDA

View Full Version : bead and cove joint structural pine

Ven.D
25th April 2018, 04:12 PM
Hi guys,
I am looking for a joinery shop around Melbourne that can do bead and cove joint on 90x35mm pine approx 200 l/m, 2m pieces.
are there any shops that you are ware of that can do that? or someone you know with the right equipment?
Unfortunately, doing it myself is not an option as standard consumer router can't handle such a thick material.

thanks,
Ven.

elanjacobs
25th April 2018, 05:09 PM
A standard 1/2" router can certainly handle 35mm of pine, I think your biggest problem might be finding the right bits.

Roughly what size radius do you need? I'll see if we have cutters at work.

Ven.D
25th April 2018, 06:22 PM
well I bought these 1.5 inch bits that seem to be perfect fit but unfortunately due to the amount of material that needs to be removed in one pass, router either stops or starts splitting the timber.

1.5" is the diameter, radius would be 3/4.
1" radius would be ok too

elanjacobs
25th April 2018, 06:28 PM
Ah I see, your drawing has a much bigger radius, so I thought if would be a fairly light cut.

I'm pretty sure we have a set of 35mm half round knives, but I don't think we have a matching cove. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Ven.D
25th April 2018, 06:47 PM
Id love to have a bigger radius cut as it would allow for greater flexibility but unfortunately the biggest bit I could find is 3/4 radius.
depth of the joint is not critical to me as long as there is some degree of flexibility. i came across a few pics on the internet where people leave a small "shelf" on either side of the joint for a better seal.
I was also thinking about tongue and groove joint but considering the thickness of material I don't think It would be able a good option.

elanjacobs
25th April 2018, 06:51 PM
Ok, let's back up a second...what exactly are you trying to achieve? Is it to glue them together? Just to align them? Does it need to be round?

If you want a giant tongue and groove we can run that no problem

Ven.D
25th April 2018, 07:30 PM
pieces are going to be aligned together (no glue) but NOT in a straight line rather in a curve so the joint must allow for some degree of flexibility just like in the picture below.
the reason why I brought up tongue and groove joint is to see if you can suggest other types of joints that can be used in this situation that I am not aware of.

Thanks,
Ven

elanjacobs
26th April 2018, 06:18 PM
PM sent