PDA

View Full Version : A few pepper grinders

dai sensei
1st May 2018, 09:39 PM
Finished a few more pepper grinders to fill an order and sell at Maleny Wood Expo. All finished with Car Clear Topcoat lacquer.

First up a my favourite, pair of Brown Mallee root burl cast in pink mica epoxy for salt and antique silver mica epoxy for pepper ~300mm high. The black edging is natural ageing/darkening due to the roots being outside on a paddock drying for years before casting

Next two pepper grinders for an order. WA Sheoak and WA Blackbutt burl with gold defect infills ~300mm high

A Red Mallee root burl cast with epoxy in flame coloured micas ~300mm high

Lastly an old cracked SA winery shiraz grape vine cast with a translucent red wine look epoxy. The grinder is my smaller ~150mm high pepper grinder to suit grey nomads' cupboards. I actually turned this last year, I was going to turn its pair from another blank the same, but decided to finish it to sell at Maleny.

DAL1957
2nd May 2018, 12:39 AM
Hi Neil,

You have some nice items there. I am a little intrigued regarding the use of resin with the wood. Are you able to explain how you actually do it?

I recently joined up with a local turning group and noticed on the "Show & Tell" table some turned jewellery "necklaces", and a few were made with wood and resin, however I didn't ask how they were done. I now have the specific jig to turn these items. I liked the resin versions and would like to try the technique some day.

I have added a picture from the day showing what I mean.

David.

artme
2nd May 2018, 07:18 AM
Great looking collection there Neil!! They should sell well!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Mike Tilley
2nd May 2018, 12:31 PM
Have never seen exopy used in Pepper Mills like that before they look really good nice job.

dai sensei
2nd May 2018, 03:02 PM
I am a little intrigued regarding the use of resin with the wood. Are you able to explain how you actually do it?

Basically I have a mold in which I arrange the timber pieces, then pour in the casting epoxy (there are a few different types of resins), then place the mold in a pressure pot to remove any lingering bubbles to set.

Adelaide Moulding and Casting Supplies are in Adelaide and they have supplies and do casting/resin classes. You could also check out U-Tube, there should be quite a few videos on casting. You can also check out the casting sub-forum of the pen forum here or check out Resin Casting Group on Facebook too.

turnerted
2nd May 2018, 05:03 PM
Beautiful grinders Neil .
Ted

powderpost
2nd May 2018, 08:25 PM
Keep at it, you are nearly there.... :U, Looking good. :2tsup:

Jim

smiife
2nd May 2018, 08:35 PM
Hi neil , nice job mate , they look great well done :2tsup:

Phil Hansen