PDA

View Full Version : Bosch & Makita Router Owners Collet Question

HypnoToad
10th May 2018, 11:12 AM
I bought a cheap Makita M3600G router, and it really works a treat for the price, I have a question for those who own the Bosch GOF 1600 which comes with a 8mm collet? I have a few good 8mm shank bits that I used with my POF 1200 AE and want to use them with the Makita. I know I can get a 8mm reducer but would rather have a dedicated collet like the Bosch.

If anyone has a GOF 1600 and a Makita 3600 or similar Makita 1/2" router could they see if the Bosch collet fits on the Makita?

Or does anyone know if they will fit? Any help would be appreciated.

HypnoToad
13th May 2018, 09:41 AM
I have another question, has anyone used one of these? Using the ER20 collets which come in all sizes and the 40mm extension would kill two birds with one stone so to speak, what do you think?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-2-ROUTER-COLLET-EXTENSION-KIT-SHANK-CUTTERS-TOOL-KIT-SET-AU-Stock/322521752642?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Lappa
13th May 2018, 02:00 PM
My only concern is balance. At 20000plus rpm, any out of balance is going to be a PITA. Even the musclechucks, which are brilliant, have a balance routine that needs to be carried out when fitting to your router and they are individually balanced on manufacture.
I bought a similar item about three years ago, not the same but similar (it came with its own 1/2” collet), and it was unusable.

ian
13th May 2018, 04:31 PM
I bought a cheap Makita M3600G router, and it really works a treat for the price, I have a question for those who own the Bosch GOF 1600 which comes with a 8mm collet? I have a few good 8mm shank bits that I used with my POF 1200 AE and want to use them with the Makita. I know I can get a 8mm reducer but would rather have a dedicated collet like the Bosch.

If anyone has a GOF 1600 and a Makita 3600 or similar Makita 1/2" router could they see if the Bosch collet fits on the Makita?

Or does anyone know if they will fit? Any help would be appreciated.I take it an 8mm Makita collet is not available for your router.

personally I'd go the reducer route.
You are asking a lot for the machining on the outside of a Bosch collet to match the machining on the inside of a Makita shaft

HypnoToad
13th May 2018, 06:55 PM
I take it an 8mm Makita collet is not available for your router.

personally I'd go the reducer route.
You are asking a lot for the machining on the outside of a Bosch collet to match the machining on the inside of a Makita shaft

No they don't, which is a shame as I love the Bosch system of having a different collet, Makita has reducers, so I will probably go that route.

HypnoToad
13th May 2018, 07:03 PM
My only concern is balance. At 20000plus rpm, any out of balance is going to be a PITA. Even the musclechucks, which are brilliant, have a balance routine that needs to be carried out when fitting to your router and they are individually balanced on manufacture.
I bought a similar item about three years ago, not the same but similar (it came with its own 1/2” collet), and it was unusable.

I actually messaged a guy that bought one of these and he said it vibrated so you are quite right, they are not balanced. I kinda wish they made routers now with the ER20 collets, it would make things so much easier IMO. That being said I will probably only buy 1/2" shank bits from now on.

HypnoToad
17th May 2018, 05:23 PM
Finally picked up a 12.7mm to 8mm reducer and it works fine, I make sure I tighten it up, no vibration or runout that I can detect.

elanjacobs
17th May 2018, 09:43 PM
I have a few good 8mm shank bits
What I want to know is...why???

8mm has got to be the weirdest shank size; it's not a metric equivalent of anything like 6 and 12 are and apparently not many manufacturers even support it

aldav
17th May 2018, 09:55 PM
8mm has got to be the weirdest shank size; it's not a metric equivalent of anything like 6 and 12 are and apparently not many manufacturers even support it

Are 6 and 12mm an equivalent of anything imperial??? I don't think so. You being only a young lad Elan would not recall the move from 1/4" to 8mm shank bits in the 70's that was primarily driven by Leigh to overcome flexing in the shank of 1/4" bits. 8mm is a hell of a lot closer to 5/16" than 6 or 12mm are to any generally recognised imperial measurement. :wink:

elanjacobs
17th May 2018, 09:59 PM
Are 6 and 12mm an equivalent of anything imperial??? I don't think so. You being only a young lad Elan would not recall the move from 1/4" to 8mm shank bits in the 70's that was primarily driven by Leigh to overcome flexing in the shank of 1/4" bits. 8mm is a hell of a lot closer to 5/16" than 6 or 12mm are to any generally recognised imperial measurement. :wink:
Ummm...they're the metric analogues of 1/4" and 1/2", just like 30mm saw and moulder arbours are the metric replacement for 1 1/4". Yes I know they're not exactly the same, that's how rounding works.

Also, when was the last time you saw a 5/16" shank bit that isn't a 5/16" endmill? I certainly haven't

Lappa
17th May 2018, 10:06 PM
8mm shank router bits are readily available from most sources and as Aldav said, they were introduced because of deflection in 1/4” bits.
My Makita came standard with 1/4” and 8mm collets 30 plus years ago.

HypnoToad
18th May 2018, 07:25 AM
8mm shank router bits are readily availanle from most sources and as Aldav said, they were introduced because of deflection in 1/4” bits.
My Makita came standard with 1/4” and 8mm collets 30 plus years ago.

Exactly, my Bosch POF 1200 came with a 6mm, 1/4" and an 8mm collet, I bought the 8mm shank bits because I wanted some 30mm diameter bits and they would be stronger in the shaft than 1/4", it's only since I got the Makita 1/2" router that I have need for the 8mm reducer which unlike the Bosch they don't make an 8mm collet for. All bits I buy from now on will be 1/2" unless they are small diameter straight bits which will be 1/4" shanks.

HypnoToad
19th June 2018, 10:52 AM
Well I solved my own problem, I sold the 8mm shank bits to a nice chap who has a Festool 8mm router, he was very happy with them and I have ordered the same bits with 1/2" shanks.

Just George
22nd June 2018, 09:28 PM
It's like asking if the door from a Holden Commodore is going to fit onto a Toyota Hilux Dual Cab ute, they both lock, have a window and you shut them behind you. Will they fit the other, I do not think so. Look though at this website, these chucks are AMAZING, I have a few of them on my Triton and Festool. I love the Festool ratchet chuck, which is a big reason why I bought it, but the Muscle Chuck craps all over the standard one.

https://www.musclechuck.com/compatibility/#

HypnoToad
23rd June 2018, 08:01 PM
It's like asking if the door from a Holden Commodore is going to fit onto a Toyota Hilux Dual Cab ute, they both lock, have a window and you shut them behind you. Will they fit the other, I do not think so. Look though at this website, these chucks are AMAZING, I have a few of them on my Triton and Festool. I love the Festool ratchet chuck, which is a big reason why I bought it, but the Muscle Chuck craps all over the standard one.

https://www.musclechuck.com/compatibility/#

The Muscle Chuck won't fit 8mm shank bits?

People on Amazon said the Bosch collet works with the Hitachi and Ryobi, just wondered if it would work with the Makita, but like I said in my previous post I am using 1/2" shank bits now so don't need one now. Thanks for the advice though.

Lappa
28th June 2018, 06:27 PM
Musclechuck do 8mm collets

https://www.musclechuck.com/product/musclechuck-assembly-collets/

Just George
28th June 2018, 10:24 PM
Works just fine for me, my Leigh bits work just fine.

HypnoToad
29th June 2018, 08:18 AM
Musclechuck do 8mm collets

https://www.musclechuck.com/product/musclechuck-assembly-collets/

Thanks for posting that, as I said previously I have sold the 8mm shank bits and only buy 1/2" shank bits now.