PDA

View Full Version : What’s has eaten my guava tree

Arron
19th May 2018, 12:15 PM
Can anyone suggest what might have eaten my young guava tree? Hawaiian guava.

This occurred in the space of a couple of days.

There are no grasshoppers, slugs or caterpillars on it or near it.

Nothing else has been touched. Even the nearby cherry guavas have not been eaten.

As you can see in the image, the bites look to be quite chunky, not really like insect chewed.

I wondered could it be a bird,which maybe will eat new leaves but I can’t see them eating the old leaves. I did hear a satin bowerbird up there a few days ago however?

Cheers
Arron

NCArcher
19th May 2018, 05:51 PM
Possum maybe

cava
19th May 2018, 06:15 PM
Rabbit perhaps?

The Caboose
19th May 2018, 10:34 PM
This also happened to me. Considering where mine was located, mine was most likely eaten by the wallabies (but could have been rats. I don't know if they go for this kind of thing).

Mine was also eaten overnight.

Mr Brush
20th May 2018, 08:58 AM
Look, I was passing by, I was REALLY hungry, and it looked soooooo appetizing.

I'll try not to let it happen again.

Arron
21st May 2018, 07:58 PM
Judging by our habitat, and our neighbours experiences, I’ve concluded it’s possums doing the damage.

In any event, whether possums, rabbits, wallabies or Mr Brush, the solution seems to be the same.

Done some research, only solution seems to be wire netting.

Unfortunately I’ve been dealing with other issues these last few days so couldn’t deal with it, and now the little blighters have wiped out a lime tree, blackberry and blueberry. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll be able to get to the problem.

I’m learning the hard way that establishing a little grove of fruit trees in regional Australia is two steps forward, one step back.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers
Arron

Arron
22nd May 2018, 08:58 PM
Ok, so today I put wire netting around all the little fruit trees except:
Citrus
Olives
Figs
Pomegranates

My thinking is they probably won’t like the taste of citrus or olive leaves, and the figs and pomegranates are deciduous so busy loosing their leaves anyway.

However, the intruder has mown done a very small seedling lime tree. Perhaps limes are different to other citrus’s in their appeal to wildlife. It was just your basic Tahitian line.

Any thought on the wisdom of leaving these trees unprotected ?

tony_A
22nd May 2018, 09:25 PM
We have had wallabies eat leaves off lemons and cumquat.

Tony

ian
23rd May 2018, 06:11 AM
the intruder has mown done a very small seedling lime tree. Perhaps limes are different to other citrus’s in their appeal to wildlife. It was just your basic Tahitian line.

Any thought on the wisdom of leaving these trees unprotected ?
I shouldn't really advise this, but ...

leave the cat out overnight