PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Purchase

Hors
21st May 2018, 10:12 AM
Looking at getting bandsaw, was hoping to get some recommendations.

Just for a hobby turner, single phase and not cost the earth.

:U:U:U

orraloon
21st May 2018, 11:58 AM
To cut decent sized bowl blanks will need about 2hp so you will be looking at about $1000 to get anything in that range unless a good secondhand saw comes along. I spent a few frustrating years trying to get by with a less powerful saw but in the end upgraded. To make deep cuts you need the power to do it. Get online and search what's in your locality then go and have a look at some. It's hard to tell the quality without actually seeing the saw. There are loads of what saw threads on the Bandsaw section of this form so have a read there also.
Regards
John

ian
21st May 2018, 04:24 PM
Looking at getting bandsaw, was hoping to get some recommendations.

Just for a hobby turner, single phase and not cost the earth.

:U:U:U
to cut bowl blanks, would an electric chainsaw be a better option?

John Saxton
21st May 2018, 08:13 PM
to cut bowl blanks, would an electric chainsaw be a better option?

Cheaper too only the cost of the bar oil & the occasional chain to maintain,I have bandsaws (3) but prefer the little leckie chainsaw to break down the mass easier ...well for me that is.

smiife
21st May 2018, 08:37 PM
Hi hors , there, s a jet bandsaw , 14 " in the market place !
Looks pretty good.........

orraloon
21st May 2018, 09:20 PM
I agree a chainsaw can get the bulk work of bowl blanks done but a bandsaw has so many other uses also. I guess if budget is an issue then blanks can be cut that way I do in fact make large rough cut blanks with with the chainsaw. A petrol one however as the 2 electric chainsaws I tried were both total exc#&m&nt. I guess they were budget level but neither one lasted a handful of cuts on a 300mm log. I have not been game to have a third go at one. I was glad of bunnie's return policy that week.
Regards
John

Hors
22nd May 2018, 10:58 AM
Hi hors , there, s a jet bandsaw , 14 " in the market place !
Looks pretty good.........

Looks pretty good, but I am in Brissy.

I think it might be sold soon also, a PM has just been sent

Thanks for the heads up though, much appreciated.

:)

glen.kempster
28th May 2018, 10:12 AM
It depends how big the bowl banks are that you want to cut, but I have a 10" Carbatec bandsaw and it's been performing really well for me. I've attempted some fairly heavy resawing of cypress pine with it and it handled it nicely. I also regularly cut a wide range of Aus hardwoods with it and exotics like purpleheart and wenge. It's a pretty good low cost machine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk