PDA

View Full Version : Small lathe advice

Huon pine fan
21st May 2018, 10:13 PM
Hi
I am new to the forum and totally new to lathes.
In the past I have not really had an interest in turning but at the same time been totally amazed at the output of some turners. Well things have changed to a point. At this point I have no real desire to start turning up bowls or table legs and the like. I have inherited my late grandfather's tools who was a shipwright and inveterate scrounger which is no doubt partly a result of living through the great depression.
Anyway it gives me great pleasure when I get the opportunity to use one of his old tools on a project. Amongst the old tools are assorted planes and chisels, many without handles. Whilst I could probably buy some new handles there is no doubt that my grandfather would never have bought something when he could make it.
So, to that end I want to have a go at turning up some new handles. I am only looking for a small lathe suitable for such small jobs and don't want to spend any more than $1000 all up. Space is also a consideration. I don't like cheap and nasty so hopefully I am not delusional with my budget.
I welcome your thoughts and guidance.

Chief Tiff
21st May 2018, 10:36 PM
Save your money for now and join a Men's Shed or woodworking guild or club. You're going to need someone to teach you how to safely use a lathe so get some instruction first before committing any dollars. Without trying to put a downer on your aspirations you might dislike turning or turn out to be just rubbish at it so definitely try before you buy. On the other hand you could be the next Richard Raffan and quickly ascertain that what you now need to do is sell a child to buy two or three different sized Vicmarks!

plt43
22nd May 2018, 06:38 AM
^
Good advice from Chief.
There are a number of clubs throughout Melbourne with fully equipped workshops where members would be happy to guide you. This will help you determine if turning really is for you and the sort of tools / lathe would suit your preferences.
And membership is a darn sight cheaper than $1000....
good luck
phil

Sturdee
22nd May 2018, 03:41 PM
If you are anywhere near Blackburn and have Thursday afternoons free then a visit to Koonung Woodturning guild in North Blackburn (http://www.koonungwoodturners.com/) would be your best bet.

On Thursday afternoons there is an instruction class which is given free of tuition charges to any new or interested member. Each session runs from 1.00pm to 3.00pm and are held at the Koonung Cottage where the Guild has exclusive use of a shed which contains a number of working lathes as well as a great deal of other equipment. They only charge a $ 3.00 shed useage fee.

Peter.

smiife
22nd May 2018, 08:19 PM
:wts:
All very good advice , you could probably make a few handles
for your grandpa, s tools and I am sure he would approve:U
Welcome to the addiction..........

Huon pine fan
22nd May 2018, 08:39 PM
Thanks Peter, a great suggestion however I live in the western suburbs and whilst a few trips to Blackburn on a Thursday afternoon is no problem I couldn't commit to a membership with the ongoing travel and wouldn't feel comfortable just attending for a few meetings just to take their help and knowledge.

Huon pine fan
22nd May 2018, 08:42 PM
Thanks Smife, yes I am sure that he would approve and who knows, turning could well become an addiction!

Paul39
23rd May 2018, 01:01 AM
Thanks Peter, a great suggestion however I live in the western suburbs and whilst a few trips to Blackburn on a Thursday afternoon is no problem I couldn't commit to a membership with the ongoing travel and wouldn't feel comfortable just attending for a few meetings just to take their help and knowledge.

I can't speak for the club in question, but every turner I have known and what I read in this forum leads me to believe that every turner is eager to spread the addiction and will freely give advice and help.

If you were to go and have a look and explain your situation, I feel sure you would be welcomed.

Over the years I have been reading here I have seen some innocents become rabid turners with several lathes and all that goes with it, some who are occasional turners, and one who was frightened by being close to rotating machinery and wanted no part of it.

If your only interest is to make tool handles for your grandfathers tools, showing up with a supply of appropriate timber to make handles and distribute the surplus would take care of your need and leave a good impression.

A few hours of instruction and supervised practice will save many tens of hours of trial and error, as well as $$ in not buying things you don't really need.

Lots of good advice above.

Sturdee
23rd May 2018, 04:50 PM
wouldn't feel comfortable just attending for a few meetings just to take their help and knowledge.

I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping you out with a few lessons and advice as they are a great bunch of people.

However according to the VWA website (http://www.vwa.org.au/resources/clubs/victoria/) there is a wood turning club in Werribee. The Woodturners of Werribee, who I presume meet in the Woodwork Room, Heathdale Christian College, Derrimut Rd Hoppers Crossing 3029.

I don't know if they are still active but it may be something to explore.

Peter.

DAL1957
23rd May 2018, 11:25 PM
Thought I might just add my 3 cents (inflation) worth.

I might be inclined to try to add a few dollars to the kitty and perhaps look for a midi lathe with an electronic speed control, it is a very nice additional feature over the standard lathes.

I started out a few months ago as a complete novice and bought a Carbatec Pro Midi Lathe and was reasonably happy with it until I started watching YouTube and going to my local turning club where I saw the advantages of the speed control. I figured I'd start with a cheaper model in case I was crap or hated it. I am really enjoying the new hobby. Last week I went out and purchased the Jet1221 with electronic speed control and am loving it. I should have bought the Jet initially.

But do take the above advice and visit a club.