PDA

View Full Version : WA She Oak platter

Pat
23rd May 2018, 04:22 PM
A couple of weeks ago, Dusteater had a few WA She Oak bowl blanks on the forum. I had turned pen blanks of WA She Oak from him before and jumped on the opportunity to purchase the bowl blanks.

I decided to see how it turns in this format. Sharp gouges and NR scrapers did most of the work. My 12mm skew was used to form the bead.

About 240mm diameter, just too big for the large cole jaws, so the Longworth came out to play. The pics are of it after EEE. I am spraying with gloss poly, off the lathe.

Fun.

I also have a new pup, Bobby the JRT. Here in bed with his older sister Molly.435887

Kuffy
23rd May 2018, 05:38 PM
Have you ever sprayed poly over EEE before? And if you have, how do you deal with the waxy content of the EEE and does it give any problems?

Pat
23rd May 2018, 06:25 PM
Kuffy, you buff the EEE until all trace is removed. One of the reasons it is brown, is that you can easily see if you have any on the work piece.

Also, less is more with EEE, even on medium sized projects, I used a dab of EEE and finger warmth to spread over the piece.

EEE is not a finish, it is a medium to polish the timber.

smiife
23rd May 2018, 07:57 PM
Hi pat , nice job on the platter mate ! Well done
Nice puppies too!:U

tony_A
23rd May 2018, 08:20 PM
That's a great looking bowl Pat from a beautiful piece of timber. Hope you will post a photo once the finish has been applied.

Tony.

artful bodger
23rd May 2018, 09:30 PM
Kuffy, you buff the EEE until all trace is removed. One of the reasons it is brown, is that you can easily see if you have any on the work piece.

Also, less is more with EEE, even on medium sized projects, I used a dab of EEE and finger warmth to spread over the piece.

EEE is not a finish, it is a medium to polish the timber.

Nice bowl there.
Excuse my ignorance but why would you wax it, then remove all traces of wax and spray?.

Pat
23rd May 2018, 10:54 PM
Nice bowl there.
Excuse my ignorance but why would you wax it, then remove all traces of wax and spray?.
AB, the wax is the carrying medium for the tripoli powder for polishing the timber.

Paul39
25th May 2018, 02:43 AM
I also have a new pup, Bobby the JRT. Here in bed with his older sister Molly.

Friends who lived up in the hills at the city limit had a Jack Russel named Roy. One night Roy goes nuts at the front door, so Dave opened it to be faced with a bear standing on its hind legs. Roy rushes out and starts gnawing the bear's legs. Bear takes exception to that and takes a swipe at Roy, knocking him 10 meters down the drive way, and bear goes back to the woods. Dr. Dave and nurse wife bring Roy in, wash him off, sew him up, and after a week of lounging around the house was ready to whip anything that got in his way. Except their cat who was as big as Roy. Cat explained how things worked around the house early on, so Roy was respectful to the cat.

Nice bowl.

turnerted
25th May 2018, 04:36 PM
Nice platter there Pat.
Ted