PDA

View Full Version : Advice on value of my Dad's automated, copying lathe

tzeggy14
27th May 2018, 01:31 PM
Hi guys,

My Dad bought this lathe back in 1993, when he retired.
He used it for a total of 2-3 hours to turn up 16 newel post tops for the picket fence around my front yard. It then sat, covered, for a few years until he gave it to me.
It has sat, under a tarp, in my (dry!) shed, ever since. I've never used it. Ever.

He suggested this morning that I sell it. It makes sense. I have no need for it and, being a high school Industrial Arts teacher, if I ever need to do any wood turning for home I can do it on the school lathes anyway.

I have no idea what it's worth, could anyone advise me?
Once I've established a market value for it I'll swap this post into the For Sale section I guess.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

https://youtu.be/AbG50NMOOx8

cava
27th May 2018, 01:55 PM
Any idea what he paid for it in 1993?

tzeggy14
27th May 2018, 02:16 PM
No.
He can't remember. (he can't remember much these days actually!)

richmond68
27th May 2018, 08:21 PM
It's not worth a great deal, you can buy a similar hand crank copy attachment to fit lathes up to 1100mm bed for about $300 (Timbecon have a special on at $270). For the hobbyist that's possibly a better option than a dedicated copy lathe with limited swing. I've seen Durden copy lathes for sale for a few hundred dollars.

BobL
28th May 2018, 12:31 AM
We had one given to us at the mens shed that was in a similar condition to the photos above. After 2 years of it taking up space we realised that no one had used it and decided to sell it. We advertised it for $250 and it went unsold for ~18 months before it ended up being sold for $100.

Paul39
28th May 2018, 02:57 AM
Tzeggy,

If you can find a name on something other than the logo on the plate that would help with the search. I think I see a tool rest sticking out from behind the mechanical stuff in photo one. If there is one the auto part can be removed and you have a spindle lathe. Does the lathe have a variable speed drive?

Get the horse power or watts of the motor, and the center height and distance between centers. Does it have a screw thread on the inboard spindle? I see a faceplate or sanding plate on the outboard side, does it have a thread?

Comparing that to what you can buy with similar specs today would give a rough idea of value. The lathe looks to be of Asian origin, if made in Taiwan it should be worth more than if made in mainland China.

The round steel bar beds are not as stiff as a heavy cast iron one, but those look big enough to be pretty stiff. If you post the specs, I can do some searching for you.

tzeggy14
28th May 2018, 07:11 AM
Thank you for the responses.

I'll get some more details Paul.
Cheers,
Greg

arose62
28th May 2018, 09:59 AM
No pricing, but looks like this one :
LONG THUNDER CO., LTD. (http://www.longthunder.com.tw/machine/wood-2.htm)