PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE READ Travelling to London

bbarrett
3rd June 2018, 05:23 PM
Hi All

Will be travelling to the London area late this month and will have a weekend to spare, any recommendations for hand tool markets /shops i should visit

Thanks in advance
Brenton

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I_wanna_Shed
3rd June 2018, 07:05 PM
I wanted to get to Classic Hand Tools (classichandtools.co.uk) while over there but they were closed for a long weekend - I had some stuff shipped to our office instead. Have a look on their website to see if it's of interest to you. They are about a 2 hour drive out of London, or about the same by train from memory.

I didn't find anything else in London, but if you do let me know as I'll be back there in a couple of months.

Just George
3rd June 2018, 07:18 PM
Checkout Axminster while you're there. I do not know where they are, but have a lot similar to Carbatec

bbarrett
3rd June 2018, 11:41 PM
I wanted to get to Classic Hand Tools (classichandtools.co.uk) while over there but they were closed for a long weekend - I had some stuff shipped to our office instead. Have a look on their website to see if it's of interest to you. They are about a 2 hour drive out of London, or about the same by train from memory.

I didn't find anything else in London, but if you do let me know as I'll be back there in a couple of months.

Thanks for your note, i was looking at their site today online as i had gone on to Google Maps and dropped a pin where i was staying and then asked for wood working stores and this was one of the ones that came up, I am going to drop Paul Sellers a note and hopefully he might respond and if he does will let you know

Brenton

bbarrett
3rd June 2018, 11:43 PM
Checkout Axminster while you're there. I do not know where they are, but have a lot similar to Carbatec

Thanks George appreciate the lead just looked at them online and it looks like an interesting place, as i will have a car and never been there before a trip in the country to get to a store sound like a good way to spend a morning

cava
4th June 2018, 09:01 AM
Be warned, Axminster is located quite far from London.

Toymaker Len
4th June 2018, 06:35 PM
Not exactly woody but if you get a chance to go down to the banks of the Themes (lots of stairs going down to it) have a look at low tide. The river bed is mainly rounded rocks and in between them are all sorts of little curios from previous centuries. I love finding old clay pipe stems that go back about three hundred years and there are thousands and thousands of them. Last time we also found a pipe bowl. Apparently a pipe of tobacco was a disposable item back then. You would buy the pipe charged with tobacco in a pub and after you had smoked it you would toss it into the river. Also lots of other things, tiles, pottery shards, crockery pieces. Have fun, don't miss the Tate Modern and The Globe Theatre (you can get a ticket to stand in the pit at the globe for five pounds).

matlor
15th June 2018, 08:23 AM
Hi All

Will be travelling to the London area late this month and will have a weekend to spare, any recommendations for hand tool markets /shops i should visit

Thanks in advance
Brenton

Check out old ‘Spittlefied’ markets. Two sections, one all used, old antique interesting bits and pieces. The other a contemporary style makers,arts market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbarrett
19th June 2018, 08:52 AM
Check out old ‘Spittlefied’ markets. Two sections, one all used, old antique interesting bits and pieces. The other a contemporary style makers,arts market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brilliant many thanks

Chrism3
19th June 2018, 12:45 PM
That's Spitalfields

bbarrett
19th June 2018, 01:29 PM
That's Spitalfields

Many thanks - found that ...thank goodness for spell checker and google!