PDA

View Full Version : Wanted (Vic) Rosewood, ebony exotics for luthier

mjcoope
4th June 2018, 11:13 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm a small shop luthier based in Melbourne, I have been working in Europe for a few years and brought the shop back nearly 1 year ago. I've left most of my exotic timbers there.

If any of you have pieces of rosewood, ebony, african blackwood, bocote or any others for sale I would be very interested.

I would also like to say where and when possible I use Australian timbers and find them delightful to use but sometimes clients ask for something a bit more traditional.

Sizes could vary but mainly interested in pieces over 500mm long, but might find room for that special piece no matter how big or small :U

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Matt
MJC guitars

If you're wondering what these pieces will be made into, here's a photo of whats currently in the shop about to go out.
(Vic. Blackwood, Brazilian rosewood bindings with german bear claw spruce top, ebony fretboard 'green tape')

bench1holio
4th June 2018, 12:57 PM
Love those green tape fretboards, the tap tone is amazing!

cava
4th June 2018, 09:39 PM
Try asking Euge on this forum. He has many Australian exotics.

dai sensei
4th June 2018, 10:13 PM
Rosewood - what type there are many?

500mm long - how wide and how thick?

mjcoope
4th June 2018, 11:32 PM
Rosewood - what type there are many?

500mm long - how wide and how thick?

Rosewoods - I’m mainly interested in any of the true dalbergia rosewoods. But open ears to what you have!

Size would depend:
I can resaw the timber so thicker is better but here are rough dimensions I would use after resaw.

Fretboards - (L)500mm x(W)60mm (min thickness 7mm)

Backs - (L)500mm x(w)200mm
And matching sides - (L)750-800mm x (W)110-120mm
Both thick enough to book match 3-4mm slices

I also use 750mm long sticks for binding the instrument and smaller pieces for things sucks as bridges.

Thanks,

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dai sensei
4th June 2018, 11:55 PM
Rosewoods - I’m mainly interested in any of the true dalbergia rosewoods. But open ears to what you have!

Size would depend:
I can resaw the timber so thicker is better but here are rough dimensions I would use after resaw.

Fretboards - (L)500mm x(W)60mm (min thickness 7mm)

Backs - (L)500mm x(w)200mm
And matching sides - (L)750-800mm x (W)110-120mm
Both thick enough to book match 3-4mm slices

I also use 750mm long sticks for binding the instrument and smaller pieces for things sucks as bridges.

Thanks,

Matt

Rosewood: The only Dalbergia in Aus is the Penny Leaf (Dalbergia sissoo) that grows around Mackay, but my pieces (bowl blanks) aren't long enough for you. I also have a decent stash of Cocobolo (Dalbergia retusa), but my longest piece is only 300mm. Other Dalbergia's I have are only in pen blank sizes.

I have about 7 species of Ebony but the only ones long enough for you aren't real ebonies. Queen Ebony (Xanthostemon melanoxylon) and White Bauhinia (Lysiphyllum hookeri) also known as Queensland Ebony (but it's still green).

Most of my exotics I got from https://www.cookwoods.com/collections/wood-by-species

mjcoope
5th June 2018, 12:11 AM
Thanks for all the information

I would be interested in experimenting with sissoo.
Or even these Australian ebonies for the guitar back and sides if I could get a piece large enough!

dai sensei
5th June 2018, 12:28 AM
Or even these Australian ebonies for the guitar back and sides if I could get a piece large enough!

This is the biggest black centre I've seen in a big White Bauhinia, the largest ~300mm dia x 1m long, green (that's sap coming out the sapwood through the end sealer) and I've just split them all in half but I don't like my chances of it not cracking while drying

mjcoope
5th June 2018, 10:44 AM
This is the biggest black centre I've seen in a big White Bauhinia, the largest ~300mm dia x 1m long, green (that's sap coming out the sapwood through the end sealer) and I've just split them all in half but I don't like my chances of it not cracking while drying

I have read that this timber does like to split when drying but if it doesn’t - I Would be definitely interested in experimenting with some of that. Looks fantastic!
Thanks

dai sensei
5th June 2018, 11:19 AM
I have read that this timber does like to split when drying but if it doesn’t - I Would be definitely interested in experimenting with some of that. Looks fantastic!

If you want it dry, call me in 10 years :rolleyes:

Euge
6th June 2018, 12:25 AM
Hi MJC,

As CAVA said, I can probably help you with some imported and native Australian species.
I will need to look over my stores to see if the sizes & quality meet your requirements. I may be able to PM you in next few days.
Most has been air dried for 20+ years. Please confirm if you are still interested.

Euge

Mobyturns
6th June 2018, 06:31 AM
If you want it dry, call me in 10 years :rolleyes:

Dries a lot faster when milled to rough dimensions with machining allowances. One of the benefits of being a glueaholic - cut up big bits, make them into small bits, then glue them up into bigger bits :D.

mjcoope
6th June 2018, 10:28 AM
Hi MJC,

As CAVA said, I can probably help you with some imported and native Australian species.
I will need to look over my stores to see if the sizes & quality meet your requirements. I may be able to PM you in next few days.
Most has been air dried for 20+ years. Please confirm if you are still interested.

Euge

Hey Euge,

Yes, I’m definitely interested, if you could PM what you find that would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Matt

Euge
6th June 2018, 04:05 PM
Hi Matt,

Thanks for your response. I need to measure what I found this arvo and PM you.
Mostly boards of Cocobolo & some Mexican 'Rosewood' and Ziricote too. Have ebony too. A bit of African blackwood which I will reluctantly need to move. A few Aussie timbers you may like too eg for fretboards. Some softer woods for sound boards somewhere too. When I send you a list I suggest you drop around and have a look for yourself. This is all very old stock. I sell occassionally to uke and guitar makers, mostly locally.

regards, Euge

woodPixel
6th June 2018, 04:33 PM
Euge has the most astounding collection of amazing timbers Ive ever seen in my entire life.

Some of the pictures are beyond belief.

Euge
6th June 2018, 05:46 PM
Euge has the most astounding collection of amazing timbers Ive ever seen in my entire life.

Some of the pictures are beyond belief.

I don't know who you are woodPixel (you in Canberra and me in Warragul). You are too kind & perhaps easily impressed, or prone to exageration? ... but thanks for your views, I have worked hard to find and collect these for most of my life.

I've finished a basic list of luthiers woods, what I could find, names & dimensions but pricing yet to come.

Euge

Edit: Matt, I have just sent you a PM with the wood I can find that I think you will like. No big wide boards though.

cava
6th June 2018, 06:20 PM
I don't know who you are woodPixel (you in Canberra and me in Warragul). You are too kind & perhaps easily impressed, or prone to exageration? ...

Well, I have seen them, and they are impressive. :D

woodPixel
6th June 2018, 07:36 PM
Euge, we emailed a while back (May 2015) and you sent me a million pictures. :)

I still have them all :D

Evan

Euge
6th June 2018, 08:15 PM
Euge, we emailed a while back (May 2015) and you sent me a million pictures. :)

I still have them all :D

Evan

Yes, I do remember you now Evan. Sorry I didn't recognise you. Its been a while and time flies for old farts like me :-)
Thanks for your endorsement.

Euge

FenceFurniture
6th June 2018, 08:34 PM
Euge, we emailed a while back (May 2015) and you sent me a million pictures. :) EvanEmails in 2015? Woodpixel only joined in Feb 2016. How can this be? :D

Unless.....

:stirthepot:

John Saxton
6th June 2018, 08:45 PM
Time traveller

woodPixel
6th June 2018, 09:44 PM
Russian or Chinese hackers must be fiddling with the database...

... Our I contacted him before here????..... :?:?

Euge
6th June 2018, 10:00 PM
Emails in 2015? Woodpixel only joined in Feb 2016. How can this be? :D

Unless.....

:stirthepot:

You guys must have been around for YONKS (that's AGES in old speak) judging by the thousands of posts you have collectively made,

Euge
13th June 2018, 03:32 PM
Hi Matt & others interested in Imported Exotics like Rosewoods.

I think you may be struggling to find the larger sizes you need. Gilmer in US have some but they cant export many because of current restrictions.
However, I continue to find a very interesting variety, stored and squirrel away over many years. Most I had forgotten totally about. BUT sadly none in large size for guitar backs & sides. Enough for pegs small features, repairs etc

These include boards, blocks and some logs (whole , 1/2 & 1/4) of the following species. Species include:

Dalbergias (eg Kingwood, Tulipwood, Cocobolo, Braz Rosewood, Ocelots Ear, African Blackwood ) as well as
Ziricote
Cocuswood (RARE! Brya ebanus) in 1/2 log form (may cut one to trime best from them)
Grandillo
Santos Rosewood (Pau Ferro, Morado, Bolivian Rosewood)

African PINK IVORY

A variety of Central American woods in small sizes blocks & short trimmed logs. All rare / uncommon for small fancy wood inc. instruments & tools

If seriously interested let me know. I've been busy measuring and taking pics. Due to the CITES restrictions I can only offer many of these to Australian woodworkers as exporting across international borders is forbidden now.

Euge

Hey Euge,

Yes, I’m definitely interested, if you could PM what you find that would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Matt

dubrosa22
13th June 2018, 08:13 PM
Cocuswood (RARE! Brya ebanus) in 1/2 log form (may cut one to trime best from them)

Euge

Hi Euge, as a budding flutemaker I'd be very interested in a 1/2 log or so of Cocuswood. I'll send you a PM.

Vaughan

dai sensei
13th June 2018, 10:53 PM
Dalbergias (Braz Rosewood, Ocelots Ear, African Blackwood )
African PINK IVORY

Oooohhh yehhhh

Euge
14th June 2018, 12:50 AM
Hi Vaughan,

I have replied and provided most of the info you wanted in your PM. I have not cut or priced any cocuswood yet.
Most of the other woods mentioned have been "reserved" (pending viewing & payment) ,with multiple expressions of interest.
Sorry for those who missed out. I wont have them again. Snakewood and Pink Ivory are next... I cant take it with me

Euge