PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc Lathe has drilling depth markings worn away

TimberNut
5th June 2018, 12:27 PM
This photo is from the tailstock of my Vicmarc VL300EVS.

The issue I have is that the drilling depth markings on the tailstock are not easily visible for the first 50mm (see photo). When the lathe sits idle, it's common that the first bit of the shaft of the quill is left out, and gets slight surface markings (rust I guess, but it doesn't etch into the quill).
Over the years, cleaning any surface rust off it has worn away some of the depth markings.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I might go about getting them re-applied, to make them clearly visible again?

I'm guessing they were laser-etched in the first place, but I've no idea who/how to get them re-applied.

One option presumably is to replace that part, but it's not worn in any way, so it'd be a waste to replace it, when I really just need a way of getting the depth markings re-applied.

If you have any suggestions on how/who could do this I'd appreciate it.

BTW - I have contacted vicmarc and sent them photos as well, but thought that someone on the forums might have an idea as well.

TimberNut
5th June 2018, 12:43 PM
Vicmarc have just replied.
A new quill assembly is $119.90 + GST and Postage

Laser etching it would be, presumably, up around this cost anyway I would think. And lining up the markings exactly would be a challenge. So unless anyone can offer a better option, I guess I'm up for a new quill from Vicmarc.
Still, it seems such a waste, as the current one isn't worn. Hopefully a fellow forumite will have another suggestion.

Sturdee
5th June 2018, 01:06 PM
I don't have a Vicmarc so I don't have these guides. What I do is mark on the drill bit the depth I want to drill by putting on some masking tape and drill to the masking tape. Works for me and a lot cheaper.

Peter.

Pat
5th June 2018, 01:42 PM
I rarely have used the rule on my Yellow Peril, as I always start with about an inch of quill exposed anyway.

China
5th June 2018, 01:49 PM
I can't remember ever using the markings on the quill, ( 40+ years ) I just mark the drill

Chief Tiff
5th June 2018, 02:42 PM
Never had much use for the marks, I use the screw pitch to work out depth. One full turn of the handle equals 2mm on my mini lathe and I can accurately guesstimate to 1/4mm, I don't need more accuracy than that on a wood lathe.

TimberNut
5th June 2018, 02:53 PM
Thanks all for the feedback. It sounds like there are many alternatives to using the depth gauge on the quill.

I actually use the markings all the time, to get accurate drilling depth. I know I could mark the drill bit with tape etc, but I find it a lot easier to just use the markings on the quill.

I've sent inquiries to several laser engraving companies but I don't expect them to quote me a whole lot less than the price of a new quill from Vicmarc. We'll see what they come back with. I reckon they're either going to say
1. they can't do it
2. they can, but can't guarantee to line up with the remaining markings
3. they can, but it costs a fortune

Paul39
6th June 2018, 01:06 AM
TimberNut,

If the original markings are still barely showing, you could use a triangular file to put a nick at whatever intervals that make sense, with a longer nick every 5 or 10 nicks. Something like this on the left side, without the numbers: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJd57sYt2O5DneBtpWz_a5bRFbLQzGe9yXykTVjzLyZct1du-TyA

Scrub out the nicks with mineral spirits or paint thinner, and put a bit of black oil based paint in the nicks. After the paint is thoroughly dry, shine the quill gently with wet 400 grit sandpaper, dry and oil.

China
6th June 2018, 01:51 AM
You could also go over to the metal work forum and see if some one wit CNC mill could re cut the marks

Mobyturns
6th June 2018, 06:27 AM
I can't offer a solution for you but I do find the measure on the tailstock quill helpful but I don't actually use it to accurately control drill depth.

The first 30mm of etching on the quill on my VL150 is also gone, however I know what caused that - I had Vicmarc mill a 1" x 10 thread on it so I could used a set of MT2 collets & the collet nut on the quill. :D

arose62
8th June 2018, 09:38 AM
Google "salt water etching"
Sounds like you could stick Contact around the quill, use an exacto knife to cut out over the existing marks, then re-etch them.