PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips For Oil Stains??

L15a
6th October 2005, 12:23 PM
I have a problem.

I've renovated an old house, and in one of the rooms I've put in a beautiful beech floor (quite early on). Unfortunately, while I've been getting on with the rest of the house, I used it as a storage area. During that time, some animal-grooming tea tree oil has spilled (I know, I know), and left quite a large stain... right in the middle (obviously it couldn't have been somewhere discreet!).

The trouble is, when I've finished the work in the room, I was just going to sand it and treat it with something that would maintain the pale natural colour. The mark is really dark, and I have no idea how deep it's soaked in. :confused:

I've had a couple of goes with some white spirit and wire wool, but it doesn't seem to be having any effect at all. I went with that as a guess, but I don't want to keep doing it too much, incase I create an even bigger problem. It does seem to be making the surrounding wood paler, and I realise I could end up making a right mess!!

Has anyone got any advice??

Lisa :o

JB
6th October 2005, 03:07 PM
I's suggest the dark colour the beech has gone is about the colour you will end up with whatever you put on it (assuming the tea tree oil is clear or a yellowish colour in the bottle?). Some finishes might not darken the wood so much, but after possibly just a few months the darkening will start.The 'pale natural colour' of all wood is lost when you apply a finish. Unless you're planning on placing a mat or piece of furniture where the stain is I'd recommend lightly oiling the entire room with the tea tree oil. Let it dry out for a few weeks then apply floorseal/estapol whatever.

Cliff Rogers
6th October 2005, 03:12 PM
What Rusty says.....

& don't attack it with wire wool, it will only make that spot look even more different from the rest.

Gra
6th October 2005, 06:23 PM
What Rusty says.....

& don't attack it with wire wool, it will only make that spot look even more different from the rest.

Is this were I say get an english car :-)