PDA

View Full Version : Fitting veneer motifs

Dengue
17th June 2018, 10:47 AM
Hello, many years ago, I purchased a couple of 52mm diameter motifs made of veneer for use on future box lids or sides. Looking at them today, I find that one side is coated in a satin finish film, presumably a one sided very sticky film to hold the individual pieces together. But the film cannot be easily removed by hand ( ie finger nail), and I don't want to damage the motif.
Can anyone please advise the recommended way of fitting this motif?

cava
17th June 2018, 11:19 AM
Can't help with the removal, but on a side track, where did you get them from? I am after some.

Dengue
17th June 2018, 11:25 AM
Bought them overseas about 10 years ago, but I note that VeneerInlay now sell them here (https://www.veneerinlay.com.au/108-inlay-motifs)

Dengue
17th June 2018, 04:48 PM
Perhaps this "film" that cannot be picked off is possibly a thick coat of dried glue?? any thoughts?

Lappa
17th June 2018, 05:29 PM
Can't help with the removal, but on a side track, where did you get them from? I am after some.

Timbecon also supply them

https://www.timbecon.com.au/site-search/default.aspx?search=Inlay

As do goodsandchattles.

Some searches suggest it could be paper glued on to hold the motif together. They say to lightly wet and run off.

Arron
19th June 2018, 11:43 AM
Isn’t it just hot melt glue?

Ie, you put the motif in place, then run over it with a hot iron.

Remember these sort of things are usually not used for marquetry but for inlay.

Dengue
19th June 2018, 05:13 PM
Thanks Arron. Can you please tell me what is the difference between inlay and marquetry? I thought they were differnt names for the same thing

Arron
19th June 2018, 06:09 PM
Marquetry : make up a sheet of edge jointed veneers, using different timber veneers to carry the pattern. glue up a flat substrate, then stick the whole thing down. It’s a sheet approach.

Inlay : router flat, shallow depressions in the substrate. Using glue, stick thin decorative strips or pieces of wood, shell, ivory etc into the depressions.

IOW, assume you have figure and ground oriented pattern. In marquetry the ground is a veneer (historically called the ‘window’). With inlay, the ground is the substrate.

Obviously, if it really is glue on the back, then it would clash with the glue you’re going to use to stick the marquetry sheet down. If it’s inlay, and assuming it’s a good glue, it’s quite a neat way of doing it.

Cheers
Arron

Xanthorrhoeas
20th June 2018, 07:17 PM
That’s interesting. In antique terminology I have understood the term marquetry to be “making a picture in veneers” usually organic/ curved shapes, a scene. Parquetry is where the veneers are angular shapes and patterns.

Inlays are certainly usually where they are let into a solid substrate. String inlays are a single line inset.

I would really appreciate a source for your definitions to help me get all this clear in my own head.

David.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th June 2018, 08:00 PM
Doesn't that make inlays a form of intarsia? (The inlay of blocks into a substrate?)

Lappa
21st June 2018, 08:19 AM
When I was at the Victoria and Albert Museum, they had a wonderful collection of furniture.
Heres a link
https://www.vam.ac.uk/search?q=Intarsia&astyped=

If if you search for Marquetry, Parquetry, Inlay, Intarsia - it shows an example of each type.

Fascinating museum!