PDA

View Full Version : banksia

cliff cook
27th April 2001, 12:08 AM
I`ve just bought some banksia 200 x 19 boards at an auction and as they were very green(dripping wet in fact) i put them in the back shed,looking at them a week later they are already starting to warp and twist.
Can anyone tell me if this is a trait with banksia or have i stored it wrong??
I had hoped to make some segmented platters out of it evntualy but if it keeps going its only going to make firewood.!!
Thanks.
Cooky

AlexS
27th April 2001, 09:00 AM
Haven't used it myself, but my old dad used to say that it was neither use nor ornament. Then again, he wasn't a turner.

cliff cook
27th April 2001, 11:10 PM
G`day guys,
Pretty silly of me not to explain i suppose!
The banksia is stored on metal shelving with 4-20mm square spacers between each sheet for airflow. Each piece is about 3mtr long and there are approx 20 pieces in the stack.
cooky

John Saxton
28th April 2001, 08:33 PM
Hi Cliff,when you stacked your timber in your shed did you consider the ambient temperature that may be realised within the confines of your shed?
Do you have a good air flow through your shed to reduce the rapid loss of moisture in your timber?
I'm no expert but as I understand it ...MCR(moisture content reduction) should be as controlled as you can make it.
A number of paremeters have to be taken into consideration particularly where our native timbers are concerned. I have for the main always stored most of my green timber outside leaving it to the 'wiles of nature'and with Banksia which is notable for checking I have stacked in close stick form and weighted under tarp out of direct sunlight with the ends open to allow for air flow.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

cliff cook
29th April 2001, 11:14 PM
G`day Johno
The shed is a 10x10 run of the mill tin shed,
as for air flow i guess there isn`t any unless i`ve got the door open but i`ve dried a lot of timber in there over the years(jarrah,jackaranda& sheoak mostly)and the only thing i`ve really lost is some orange tree wood but that had been cut for a week before i could get some end sealer on it.
This is really my first try at sawn timber(as apposed to in the round)so i`m really in the dark as how to handle it.
Thanks for the hints.
cooky