PDA

View Full Version : Danish Oil under French Polish?

steve54123alt
6th October 2005, 10:21 PM
I like the darking of timber that danish oil gives but, can I then polish over this with out problems?

sorry if its come up before. I think it will be fine once oil is dry... a week or so...
Any guide lines?

Cheers

Auld Bassoon
6th October 2005, 10:34 PM
Yep - just let the oil dry somewhat - I tend to apply some oil, at the same time and level of application to a scrap of the same timber of a reasonable length - say 150 ~ 250mm - and just try some wax when it feels as if it will take it. Often, at least in reasonable temps and humidity level, this can be within six ~ eight hours. It might be wiser to wait at least a full twenty-four hours, but I've never found it to be a big issue

Works for me!

rsser
7th October 2005, 06:58 AM
Yep, top with wax, not shellac. Or wet sand the DO and buff for a higher lustre; on finer grained timbers this can give quite a shine.

PhilMcCrackin
7th October 2005, 07:16 AM
In the past I have given danish oil 3 days to cure before applying the shellac.....

I am certain that these two finishes are compatable provided oil has cured underneath. You can always try the adhesion test. Take a scrap piece of timber. Apply the danish oil wait two to three days. Apply the shellac. Wait one day. Next score the board in a crosshatch pattern aiming for 3mm *3mm diamond shapes (in 100mm *100mm square). Place sticky tape over the top. press firm and lift off. I am told as long as 80% of diamonds are still adhered than this is acceptable adhesion. You can try this with any finish.

PhilMcCrackin
7th October 2005, 07:41 AM
I forgot to mention... Danish oil under french polish or padded shellac looks lovely. It creates such a rich and warmness about the wood.An unfinished project below shows danish oil under padded shellac and wax. Second picture is raw timber.

steve54123alt
7th October 2005, 06:08 PM
hmmm adhesion test eh...
very interesting. might give it a try.
Thanks for the answers guys, Phill those draws are great, your right about that warmness. Just what i'm after i guess.

Cheers guys