PDA

View Full Version : Water-based spray lacquer - local source??

eddie the eagle
7th October 2005, 08:56 AM
Hi All,

Just a quick question - Is anyone able to recommend a source of water-based spray lacquer/polyurethane locally? I can't use two-pack finish where I am.

This link from the US is something similar to what I'm looking for, but I can't justify importing. I believe that Europe have outlawed solvent-based finishes, so I thought that surely a high quality water-borne spray must have made it over here as well.
http://www.targetcoatings.com/products/coatings/oxford_spray_lacq.html

I've done a search on past posts here and on google without seeming to find an answer.

Probable use = 20-50L/year at the moment, depending upon how things go, maybe more.

What have you guys used that worked well and are you able to provide a source?

I'll be working from home until I get enough of a client base established again, solvent-based finishes are out of the question (I don't want to upset the neighbours unnecessarily)

Cheers,

eddie
(on the SW outskirts of Sydney)

vinnie
7th October 2005, 10:44 AM
Some cork tiles are finished with a water based poly, not sure if it is sprayable but should be. Premium Floors @ 49 Dulacca St.,Acacia Ridge in Brisbane Ph.07 32733111,used to wholesale such a product. They could have a wharehouse in Sydney .Let your fingers do the walking. regards Vinnie

echnidna
7th October 2005, 11:24 AM
I have sprayed Solver Polyaqua Satin with very good results.
The can says thin up to 10% with water but I found 20% works better in the gun.
Very nice crystal clear finish from the gun.
It will pad on very nicely as well as spray.
Haven't tried brushing it though it is a brushable finish

The disadvantage is the time it takes to build up a nice furniture finish.
Don't apply any more than 2 coats per day, so that it can dry properly between coats. But polyurethane is the same, taking days to build up the finish

In spite of this its a good alternative finish to lacquer and shellac when the weather is cold enough to cause blushing.

eddie the eagle
11th October 2005, 07:21 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for the responses and help.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

eddie

eddie the eagle
12th January 2006, 08:15 PM
Hi All,

Just a follow up post.

AkzoNobel in Vic carry it - Akzolac (acrylic-based) - min order quantity is twenty litres so it won't exactly suit those wanting to finish a single chair, unfortunately - 30% and 50% gloss. I'm looking to go across from a fume and nuisance odour point of view, depending upon test results

Best regards,

eddie

echnidna
12th January 2006, 08:24 PM
What sorta price Eddie??

eddie the eagle
12th January 2006, 08:48 PM
Hi Bob,

I sent you an email with details of supplier. Price wasn't that unreasonable.

Cheers,

eddie

soundman
14th January 2006, 10:57 PM
If you get some. be sure to let us know how the stuff is to use.
This water bassed / spraying fumes thing is an ongoing issue for many of us.
cheers

la Huerta
31st January 2006, 08:47 AM
i'm pretty sure wattle sell waterburne spray finishes, but it's under the trade/commercial section...and from what i here is very good...

echnidna
31st January 2006, 01:13 PM
Hi All,

Just a follow up post.

AkzoNobel in Vic carry it - Akzolac (acrylic-based) - min order quantity is twenty litres so it won't exactly suit those wanting to finish a single chair, unfortunately - 30% and 50% gloss. I'm looking to go across from a fume and nuisance odour point of view, depending upon test results

Best regards,

eddie

Their website is unhelpful
Tried ringing them on STD but got left in a queue so I hung up as I won't wait for d##heads on std rates.
Don't even know if their price is acceptable so I think I'll just stick to solvent lacquer which is only $125 per 20 litres anyway.

eddie the eagle
31st January 2006, 05:18 PM
HI All,

The product sprayed beautifully off the gun, but they announced that they're exiting the local market in wood finishes, so I'm starting from scratch again.

Cheers,

eddie

Auld Bassoon
31st January 2006, 06:00 PM
Maybe they'll have a clearance sale?