PDA

View Full Version : Hughie's success

powderpost
27th June 2018, 08:00 PM
Hughie had four entries in the AWTex over the weekend. This is a photo of one of them. It was a very nice piece, well finished and well turned too.

Jim

tony_A
27th June 2018, 08:44 PM
Congratulations Hughie. Not much to say that the judges haven't already said.

Tony

smiife
27th June 2018, 08:47 PM
Well deserved Hughie , well done......
Thanks for posting Jim:2tsup:

Gary H
28th June 2018, 10:41 AM
Another great example of Hughie's talent. Congratulations on a well earned win.

Gary H

Allan at Wallan
28th June 2018, 10:59 AM
Exceptional work Hughie - well done.

Sturdee
28th June 2018, 11:11 AM
I saw that when I was at the exhibition and also thought it was exceptional and well worth winning, but I can't understand that it was considered as Wood Art.

Excellent turning with extra skills brought in to make and turn the final appearance to make it more perfect and in my opinion should not be relegated to the Wood Art classification.

Peter.

powderpost
28th June 2018, 01:33 PM
I saw that when I was at the exhibition and also thought it was exceptional and well worth winning, but I can't understand that it was considered as Wood Art.

Excellent turning with extra skills brought in to make and turn the final appearance to make it more perfect and in my opinion should not be relegated to the Wood Art classification.

Peter.

Peter,

I agree with your comments. Hughie's bowl wasn't "relegated" to wood art as you suggest. Hughie entered it in the "wood art" section himself, as a result it was judged in that section.

Jim

P

Sturdee
28th June 2018, 05:07 PM
Peter,

I agree with your comments. Hughie's bowl wasn't "relegated" to wood art as you suggest. Hughie entered it in the "wood art" section himself, as a result it was judged in that section.

Jim

P

Thanks for the clarification Jim.

I suppose Hughie has never seen the exhibition so he may not have the same view on what is wood art then I have for, generally, most wood art entries at the show come nowhere near the turnings that Hughie does.

Peter.

hughie
28th June 2018, 06:58 PM
Lol I had one in the same size bowl class [ under 200mm ] and a couple in vases elsewhere. But as you mentioned I have not been to the exhibition, just post them off and see what happens.
Actually, this was the first year that I specifically made pieces for the exhibition and I never quite got around to finishing three of them. So these pieces were conscripted to fill in and due to a very busy life, it takes me weeks to finish a piece. The reality is they should only be a few hours work.

dai sensei
28th June 2018, 08:38 PM
Well done Hughie :2tsup:

If you are ok with it, I traditionally place a photo of the winning entry on the Woodturners of Australia front page, so I'd appreciate a photo of the piece ncwright at bigpond dot net dot au

hughie
29th June 2018, 12:22 PM
Well done Hughie :2tsup:

If you are ok with it, I traditionally place a photo of the winning entry on the Woodturners of Australia front page, so I'd appreciate a photo of the piece ncwright at bigpond dot net dot au

shouldnt be a problem

NeilS
30th June 2018, 12:21 PM
Well deserved Hughie , well done......
Thanks for posting Jim:2tsup:+1

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

mick661
1st July 2018, 01:01 AM
Here is the winning piece.
Most of us will know who turned this.
Cheers Mick

Optimark
1st July 2018, 09:42 PM
Here is the winning piece.
Most of us will know who turned this.
Cheers Mick

I would suggest you should name the winning turner, many around Australia and indeed the world, will have no idea who turned that. I know who it was and spoke to him when he was picking up his entries and boxing them to take home. Did you see his other quite similar item in the previous best of show winners table?

I also asked him if anything was done off the lathe, his reply, "completely done on the lathe".

As for the bowl, which is the subject of this thread. I had the pleasure of holding it a few times when it was being photographed prior to the exhibition opening; wonderful piece.

Mick.

artful bodger
1st July 2018, 10:13 PM
I would suggest you should name the winning turner, many around Australia and indeed the world, will have no idea who turned that. I know who it was and spoke to him when he was picking up his entries and boxing them to take home. Did you see his other quite similar item in the previous best of show winners table?

I also asked him if anything was done off the lathe, his reply, "completely done on the lathe".

As for the bowl, which is the subject of this thread. I had the pleasure of holding it a few times when it was being photographed prior to the exhibition opening; wonderful piece.

Mick.

Good point. I have no idea who he is. Also have no idea who Hughie is.

mick661
1st July 2018, 11:52 PM
You are right i should have written that the turner was Brendan Stemp.
My bad
Cheers Mick

Sturdee
2nd July 2018, 12:05 AM
Good point. I have no idea who he is. Also have no idea who Hughie is.

Both are forum members. The best of show entry was from Brendan Stemp.

Peter.

NeilS
2nd July 2018, 09:31 AM
Both are forum members. The best of show entry was from Brendan Stemp.

Peter.I reckon Brendan and his winning piece deserve a separate thread in recognition of his success.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

mick661
2nd July 2018, 07:53 PM
Go for it the pics are there or do you want me to start it?
Cheers Mick

mick661
2nd July 2018, 07:54 PM
Brandon might have better pics

mick661
2nd July 2018, 07:55 PM
Brendan