PDA

View Full Version : Stress relieving cuts ?

Sam
30th June 2018, 10:44 AM
Been asked to replace a children’s swing seat. The swing has 4 vertical rods hanging from the frame and one long seat running between the rods and cantilevering each end. A kid sits at each end with their feet on pegs at the end of the rods......anyway the seat is 1600 long x 170 wide and I’m thinking about using a hardwood sleeper (to keep costs down) for the seat. Should I make some ‘stress relieving cuts’ or grooves along the length of the under side to help stop twisting/cupping ? The seat is bolted at the centre with 4 bolts about 200 apart and the cantilevers are 600 long. I’ve seen these cuts/grooves in table tops but can’t finf any info.

many thanks,

Sam

Bob38S
4th July 2018, 09:47 AM
Is that the old log or plank swing you are describing?

I thought they were great but most if not all were removed from schools and playgrounds years ago as they were classed as being too dangerous. Kids being kids would stand and swing them very high to the point that the seat would hit the top of the frame and injure feet/hands as the seat hit the top of the frame, those waiting their turn would get too close to the ends and be hit like a battering ram.

As to your question regarding grooves or cuts, I have never seen these used on this type of swing.