PDA

View Full Version : Tool Handle

warrick
30th June 2018, 06:06 PM
I received in the mail yesterday a turners smock and a new bowl gouge, so I wore the smock to make a handle for the bowl gouge. You can see the piece of firewood that I used and the finished product

:) :) :)

Rick

TermiMonster
30th June 2018, 06:13 PM
Nice firewood.

woodtryer
1st July 2018, 12:22 AM
Lovely firewood, do you know what species of firewood?

warrick
1st July 2018, 01:37 AM
Lovely firewood, do you know what species of firewood?

Sheoak

dr4g0nfly
1st July 2018, 08:21 AM
What I would not give for some of your 'Firewood!'

Christos
1st July 2018, 08:58 AM
Our need to keep warm can sometimes out weigh our need to look beautiful. :U

pommyphil
1st July 2018, 09:05 AM
Here on the NSW midnorth coast, this stuff, Forest Oak was called Bakers Oak as the prefered fuel for wood fired ovens.438492

daryl1
1st July 2018, 01:03 PM
Hopefully what’s left doesn’t end up on the wood heap.

warrick
1st July 2018, 01:58 PM
Hopefully what’s left doesn’t end up on the wood heap.

I was given the Sheoak as part of a trailer load of firewood, it was mixed with some Jarrah. I picked out the bigger pieces to play with as I am new to woodturning and needed some blanks. As tree has been long time dead in the bush there was a lot of cracks and splits and getting sizable pieces to turn was hard but fun :)

Rick

CAG
29th July 2018, 01:48 PM

Mmmm, bacon...

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th July 2018, 02:17 PM
Nice work on the handle!

I was given the Sheoak as part of a trailer load of firewood, it was mixed with some Jarrah. I picked out the bigger pieces to play with as I am new to woodturning and needed some blanks. As tree has been long time dead in the bush there was a lot of cracks and splits and getting sizable pieces to turn was hard but fun :)

Trust me... 10 years down the line and this will still hold true. :D

One of the few real advantages of moving house is discovering what "firewood" is available locally. In the past I've had everything from Mallee Root burls through the Sheoaks (don't you just love the casuarina family?) & mountain gums to our current lot: Ironbark & some Box.

I can even tell which tools were handled at which houses and thus their approximate ages. :)

Paul39
30th July 2018, 02:24 AM
Here on the NSW midnorth coast, this stuff, Forest Oak was called Bakers Oak as the prefered fuel for wood fired ovens.438492

I heat with wood. I could not burn this. American Black Walnut, Cherry, Hard Maple, Red & White Oak, yes. Depends on what one has piled around the house.

Nubsnstubs
30th July 2018, 07:29 AM

Is the bakers Oak always that good looking? ............. Jerry (in Tucson) USA

Old Croc
30th July 2018, 09:00 PM
Is the bakers Oak always that good looking? ............. Jerry (in Tucson) USA
Yes it is, but goes darker with age, want some?
Rgds,
Crocy

Nubsnstubs
31st July 2018, 01:19 AM
Rgds,
Crocy

Hey Croc, we have a question here about bears and woods. If you use that saying there also, then you of course know what my answer would be to your question...... Heck yeah, man!!!!
you still coming out this year??................. Jerry (in Tucson)USA

plt43
31st July 2018, 07:35 AM
Rgds,
Crocy

Hell, yes !!!

Never seen this down here....

(and yes it does look like bacon)

phil

Xanthorrhoeas
31st July 2018, 11:44 AM
That looks like Rose Sheoak to me but I can also see that it is sometimes called Forest Oak. Allocasuarina torulosa

Old Croc
31st July 2018, 07:49 PM
Hey Croc, we have a question here about bears and woods. If you use that saying there also, then you of course know what my answer would be to your question...... Heck yeah, man!!!!
you still coming out this year??................. Jerry (in Tucson)USA
Hi Jerry, yep we have the same saying. I am held up trying to get travel insurance at present, but still on track. I will pm you re sizes.
Crocy.

Hell, yes !!!

Never seen this down here....

(and yes it does look like bacon)

phil
Hi Phill, you can get it a lot closer than from me. Try Bilinugle Woodworks.

That looks like Rose Sheoak to me but I can also see that it is sometimes called Forest Oak. Allocasuarina torulosa
Yep, that's the problem with everyone using common names. In FNQ, its Bakers Oak, around here its Rose She-oak and further south its Forest Oak. I have a stack of quartersawn boards that I got from big stan around 2005 for making boxes, hmmm, must getaroundtoit.
Rgds,
Crocy