PDA

View Full Version : willow bowl .......

smiife
1st July 2018, 08:28 PM
Hi guys , I made this willow bowl a while ago while still green , very nice to turn with lots of white ribbons , and then left it to dry off , It was very boring and plain I then decided to attack it with the pyrograph machine to make it a bit more interesting , I then stained it black and tryed to do the bowl with gold leaf , a big mistake , sanded the gold leaf off and just sprayed with gold paint , and then made the "tusks" for legs .
Any comments and advice welcome

tony_A
1st July 2018, 08:59 PM
I like that smiife. Shape and colours work together and the design is something a little different, well done.

Tony

artme
1st July 2018, 09:27 PM
Excellent piece Smife!!!:clap3::clap3::clap3:

I would gladly park that in my lounge room!!

Christos
2nd July 2018, 08:26 AM
Very nice piece. I can imagine just how long it would have taken for you to complete this piece.

dai sensei
2nd July 2018, 11:50 AM
Looks great mate. So what happened to the gold leaf?

smiife
2nd July 2018, 09:01 PM
I like that smiife. Shape and colours work together and the design is something a little different, well done.

Tony

Hi tony , thanks for your comments:2tsup:

Excellent piece Smife!!!:clap3::clap3::clap3:

I would gladly park that in my lounge room!!

Hi artme , appreciate your comments , thanks !
Everything has a price tag !:U

smiife
2nd July 2018, 09:18 PM
Very nice piece. I can imagine just how long it would have taken for you to complete this piece.

Hi Christos , thanks for your comments , It was a long term project over
many months on and off ......

Looks great mate. So what happened to the gold leaf?

Thanks mate , yeah , It wasn, t very successful , first attempt at gold leaf,
The bowl was super smooth until I put the glue on , and maybe didn, t
let It dry enough and put it on a bit too thick , turned out crap with wrinkles
and creases all over , anyhoo,,,,, It was a learning curve ..........will know
better next time :2tsup:

mick661
2nd July 2018, 09:26 PM
Apparently you need sizing not sure of the spell it but its part of the process for gold leaf . I had a go last year your description of your result is about the same as mine.
Cheers Mick

smiife
2nd July 2018, 09:54 PM
Apparently you need sizing not sure of the spell it but its part of the process for gold leaf . I had a go last year your description of your result is about the same as mine.
Cheers Mick

Hi Mick, Yeah , I did use the sizing/glue , but I think It has to be put on
very thin , because everthing shows through , also the glue needs to be almost dry before adding the gold , It, s a very fidderly process , and lots of patience
which I unfortunately don, t have :roll:

pictureman
5th July 2018, 08:39 PM
You needed to rub the gold leaf after you apply it with a cats tooth or similar (bone)so it the comes up glossy.

tony_A
6th July 2018, 10:51 AM
You needed to rub the gold leaf after you apply it with a cats tooth or similar (bone)so it the comes up glossy.

Like to try it but how do you hold the cat.

Colin62
6th July 2018, 11:51 AM

Very, very carefully.

smiife
6th July 2018, 08:33 PM

Yeah , I have since watched a couple of You Tube videos , they used
a ball of greaseproof paper !

LOL.... maybe by the tail:o

NeilS
7th July 2018, 11:59 AM
Hi Mick, Yeah , I did use the sizing/glue , but I think It has to be put on
very thin , because everthing shows through , also the glue needs to be almost dry before adding the gold , It, s a very fidderly process , and lots of patience
which I unfortunately don, t have :roll:

I have experimented with it. I replaced the supplied sizing with shellac. Then fine sanded that to smooth down the raised wood fibers. Also thinned down the glue to get a smoother coating. That worked better for me, but the unsteadiness of my hands wasn't so easily overcome. I decided that the antique look, where some of the leaf appears to have rubbed off, was my preferred style... : ~}

e.g. this one sold at the gallery last week. The photo doesn't quite pick up the true colour of the gold, which is 23K leaf.

Yes, a bit fiddly to apply and to do well. I'm also yet to be convinced that you can get a sufficient return at the gallery for the extra cost and effort involved in using gold leaf. Perhaps better reserved for exhibition or other special purpose pieces where those inputs are of a less consideration.

smiife
7th July 2018, 09:27 PM
I have experimented with it. I replaced the supplied sizing with shellac. Then fine sanded that to smooth down the raised wood fibers. Also thinned down the glue to get a smoother coating. That worked better for me, but the unsteadiness of my hands wasn't so easily overcome. I decided that the antique look, where some of the leaf appears to have rubbed off, was my preferred style... : ~}

e.g. this one sold at the gallery last week. The photo doesn't quite pick up the true colour of the gold, which is 23K leaf.

Yes, a bit fiddly to apply and to do well. I'm also yet to be convinced that you can get a sufficient return at the gallery for the extra cost and effort involved in using gold leaf. Perhaps better reserved for exhibition or other special purpose pieces where those inputs are of a less consideration.

Hi Neil , I might try the shellac method , what did you thin the glue
with ? I found mine was thick and the brush strokes showed through
the gold leaf ! Nice platter by the way :2tsup:

NeilS
8th July 2018, 11:20 AM
... what did you thin the glue with ? I found mine was thick and the brush strokes showed through the gold leaf !

It was a water based glue, so I just thinned it with water. Like you, I found the brush strokes showed through with the consistency of the glue as supplied.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

smiife
8th July 2018, 08:17 PM
[QUOTE=NeilS;2096074 It was a water based glue, so I just thinned it with water. Like you, I found the brush strokes showed through with the consistency of the glue as supplied.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Hi neil, thanks for the info , will try that next time ,
Unpacked my entries from AWTEX , and this piece got 3rd in wood art
section , very happy with that .........:U:U