PDA

View Full Version : Paperbark

boxers
6th July 2018, 12:44 PM
A friend of mine owns a company whose name includes Paperbark. She has asked me to build a small coffee table made from Paperbark timber.
I am in Brisbane. Can anyone tell me were I can buy Paperbark timber and also is it good furniture timer?

auscab
6th July 2018, 08:08 PM
I dont know where it can be bought .

I had one that was in the way of my new workshop build so it got the chop . I want to keep it but I could show you what its like if you like.

I kept the best part of the tree and halved it. That gave me two pieces about the size of a shoe box, so not much. The timber looks fine grained and pale in colour maybe a little pink ? Ill run it over the buzzer.

Rob

dai sensei
6th July 2018, 08:39 PM
There are quite a few paperbarks. Apart from the Tea-tree varieties, there are 3 big old Melaleucas around SEQ growing in the swamps, that most people relate to "paperbarks". The timber varies from yellows through to deep red browns.

I have a few at my place, the best IMO being the deep red brown one, it is stable with beautiful grain and colour. I doubt I would have enough for a table but I'll have a look. This picture is from a 250dia x 500 long log I split.

boxers
7th July 2018, 09:25 AM
Thanks Rob. probably not worth it as it seems not enough for what I want.
Thanks anyway
Mario

boxers
7th July 2018, 09:28 AM
Thanks Neil,
Since not enough for coffee table probably not worth it.
Thanks anyway
Mario

Somerfly
17th July 2018, 05:04 PM
Hi Mario
Brittons timbers might have it. They are a Tassie company but have outlets on the mainland. IST in Geeveston here in Tas could probably help you,fairly sure there is some logs in the current tender. Check out their website.
Cheers Wayne

boxers
19th July 2018, 04:08 AM
Thanks for the info
Mario