PDA

View Full Version : variable speed add on switch.

deckell
9th July 2018, 09:24 PM
I have an old 4 speed lathe, is it possible to purchase a switch to wire into some where to change the speeds without having to change the belt every time. i am new to this forum so i hope i have put this in the right place.thanks for any help that can be provided. deckell.PS i am also a beginner on the lathe as well.

BobL
10th July 2018, 12:38 AM
I assume you have a Simple Phase motor on the lathe? If so then most switches/circuits that produce variable speed on a single phase motors are basically inefficient leading to significant loss of power, motor over heating and damage. There are a few expensive speed controllers that work OK on a single phase motor but very few turners retrofit these due to the cost.

You probably don't want to hear this but, increasing numbers of turners are swapping out their single phase motors for 3Phase motors so they can use a $100 black box called a Variable Frequency Drive. This converts 240 V singe phase power to 240 3Phase power. Lots of examples of this are listed in this thread http://www.woodworkforums.com/f271/vfd-install-summaries-213878.

The ease of installation of VFD ranges widely and is only for those who are comfortable working with 240V power and definitely not for any beginner.

KBs PensNmore
10th July 2018, 12:43 AM
Bob beat me to it, but have a look on the Electronics section;
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f271/vfd-install-summaries-213878
Tried to delete this, but the delete button has been deleted:doh:
Kryn

deckell
11th July 2018, 03:32 PM
I have an old 4 speed lathe, is it possible to purchase a switch to wire into some where to change the speeds without having to change the belt every time. i am new to this forum so i hope i have put this in the right place.thanks for any help that can be provided. deckell.PS i am also a beginner on the lathe as well.

thanks chaps for your valued information. as an amateur wood terroriser you certainly have put some into terror into me,i think i will leave the lathe as it is until i can afford a new one thanks again. deckell

Bauldy
13th July 2018, 11:12 AM
I was once in a similar position as you. The prospect of a conversion was too daunting, but I decided that I had a quality lathe that I liked and the changeover cost to a newer variable speed model would be too high. Once I read more and discussed with some people I found it worth the effort. Luckily I found a good cheap motor and actually enjoyed the learning process to make it happen.

If your lathe is not something that you want to really hang on to, then I agree you should wait and get this feature in an upgrade. I could not go back to belt changes now though!

Regards

Bauldy