PDA

View Full Version : Ask A Dumb Question, And...

DPB
8th October 2005, 12:24 PM
I noted at the WWW Show in Melbourne that a number of the turning demonstrators were wearing gloves. Other than it's still cold in Melbourne, what is the explanation for this?:confused:

arose62
8th October 2005, 01:12 PM
So they don't have to shake hands with the hordes of flannel-shirted, bearded, middle-aged males who seem to flock to events like that??

To identify themselves as "demonstrators", not mere members of the public? (And not Triton demonstrators!)

Protecting against vibration-induced health problems? Splinters? Stains from sweat+woodchips?

Drumming up sales of woodturning gloves, in which they have a vested (or gloved) interest?

To hide the accumulated scars, and "I LUV UBEAUT" tattoos?

Cheers,
Andrew

Gingermick
8th October 2005, 01:57 PM
Woodturning is all in the movement of your body and arms. Wearing gloves takes sensitivity away from your fingertips and trasfers it to your elbows.

Captain Chaos
8th October 2005, 05:12 PM
G'day DPB,
A lot of wood turners wear gloves with the finger section of the gloves cut off at the first or second joint. This still allows sensitivity of the fingertips whilst protecting the palm & back of the hand from the hot shavings as they fly back from the cutting edge of the tool. Aussie timbers such as redgum ( euc. camaldulensis ) tend to generate a lot of heat as they are being cut, especially if " you let the bevel rub " when turning.
Also it reduces the tannin ( ? ) stains from the timber / shavings on the turners hand which can be a real pain to remove , again when turning redgum or jarrah etc..
Hope that this is of some help to answering your query.
Regards,
Barry.

RETIRED
9th October 2005, 12:22 AM
What CC said.

I wear gloves to stop the shavings from shredding the skin, also why I wear long sleeved smocks.

Wood Butcher
9th October 2005, 07:45 AM
I always wear a glove on my left hand whem roughing down square stock. Have some nasty experiences in the past from splinters especially of hardwoods. Generally for normal turning I don't wear any gloves so that I can have the "feel" of the tool.

normell
9th October 2005, 08:11 AM
Could also be a health & safety issue working in Jeff's shed

Normell

rsser
9th October 2005, 02:12 PM
To hide the hair on their palms.

DPB
9th October 2005, 07:00 PM

:confused: I don't get it!:D

outback
9th October 2005, 07:46 PM

Ahhm, that's scary coming from a turner. Anyway it still doesn't explain 's hairy face. :D