PDA

View Full Version : Retaining wall between preinstalled pool/Gnd

AndrewPatrol
8th October 2005, 05:51 PM
I've got the unenviable task of installing a deck around an above-ground pool on a sloping block, but the pool installers did a cut and fill on the slope, installed pool and didnt do anything about the 1 metre high bank at the top of the slope next to the pool ( about 250 - 400 mm clearnce ) My question is : Has any body any ideas on installing some sort of retaining wall system in this gap that is able to be installed with very little work room. My only idea so far is to hammer in some star pickets, put pipe over them to strengthen, then chicken wire, shademesh and gravel behind. I would have to tie the tops of the pickets back before building the decking. The soil is clay based with some rock in it and I'm worried about wash from further up the hill and slops from the pool.
Thanks for any really bright, easy answers
Andrew

Eastie
8th October 2005, 10:45 PM
I suggest that you take the time to download this document and have a read. The method that you've suggested is somewhat lacking in structural application as far as retaining walls go

http://www.hyne.com.au/downloads/dih_downloads/timberTDS/09_retaining_walls.pdf

As an alternative have you thought of cutting the wall back to 1:1 and stabilising it with rocks & plants?

AndrewPatrol
9th October 2005, 12:21 AM
By 1:1, do you mean 45 degrees.

MrFixIt
11th October 2005, 01:49 AM
]Hi
I've got the unenviable task of installing a deck around an above-ground pool on a sloping block,Hmmm? Yes, I *dont* envy your task.
but the pool installers did a cut and fill on the slope, installed pool and didnt do anything about the 1 metre high bank at the top of the slope next to the pool ( about 250 - 400 mm clearnce )Well unless there were some specific reason not to, the pool installers SHOULD have provided SOME form of retention of such a wall of "dirt" (?). If this is clay based then the chance of "stuff" falling in is lessened somewhat. However ultimately something will give!

My question is : Has any body any ideas on installing some sort of retaining wall system in this gap that is able to be installed with very little work room.No. The ONLY way is to do it POROPERLY, as it should have been in the first place. Shortcuts here WILL come back and *bite* you.

My only idea so far is to hammer in some star pickets, put pipe over them to strengthen, then chicken wire, shademesh and gravel behind. I would have to tie the tops of the pickets back before building the decking.Absolutely waaaay to weak, don't even think of attempting this. Retaining walls require strength from the bottom, not just the top!
The soil is clay based with some rock in it and I'm worried about wash from further up the hill and slops from the pool.If there is the possibility of wash form further UP the hill(???) then the need for a retaining wall is even MORE important than just the localised slip of dirt.

It amazes me that such pool *installers* (the term installers is used very loosely in this context), could not dig out an extra metre of dirt and pile it up at the back for the simple task of backfilling. (after a retaining wall is in place!!).

Thanks for any really bright, easy answers
AndrewWell my first thought is to call the installers and have them come back and *uninstall* and reinstall at their expense for not doing the job properly in the first place! Though I guess that is unlikely to happen :(

The next best thing (unfortunately) is to start digging. You WILL need a substantial retaining wall for something that is 1 metre and already slopes upward to a higher level.

I don't know what the regulations are, but I would suggest at least 4 brick thick at the base and gradually reduce to DOUBLE brick at the top. ALternatively it may be easier to use those LARGE limestone blocks.

If you do use brick ensure you put some mesh in the courses every 3 or 5 courses (special mesh is available for this purpose) and some 6mm reinforcing rods from the bottom to the top (run it through the mesh too if you can) to make the whole wall stronger and help prevent cracking when the ground shifts. (It WILL shift as is has been disturbed).

All I can say is DON'T skimp on the wall material. If you don't feel comfortable carrying out this work, then have professionals do it for you.

Good luck.

Barry_White
11th October 2005, 10:59 AM
Another way is to have sheet piling installed. Some thing they use in stopping the sides of holes caving in.

Have a look here.

http://www.steelcom.com.au/sheet-pile.htm

Or have a look here.

http://www.google.com.au/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial_s&hl=en&q=Sheet+Piling&meta=cr%3DcountryAU&btnG=Google+Search

AndrewPatrol
12th October 2005, 07:49 PM
Thanks everyone, especially MRFIXIT. If only I had a shotgun and those installers in sight. Thank god its not my pool is all I can say. But isnt it the way these days with getting work done - all these people wanna do is take the money and run. What happened to professionalism and guiding the less knowledgeable through a project. This pool thing has been a nightmare for these people from the beginning. And people wonder why I like to do things myself - ha.

MrFixIt
12th October 2005, 10:38 PM
Thanks everyone, especially MRFIXIT.[snip]You're welcome :D

What happened to professionalism and guiding the less knowledgeable through a project.Professionalism is very rare these days and is usually at a premium price (as no doubt we all know).
This pool thing has been a nightmare for these people from the beginning.Please let us know what eventuates.

The steel piling is a great option, however it would come at a very high price, as the machinery and materials are expensive. Plus you would need to take into account what may lie beneath the area. (though I guess there would be nothing if they dug out a metre of earth.
And people wonder why I like to do things myself - ha. Yes, I know how you feel :D

Due to time constraints I was persuaded by SWMBO to get quotes for a tiler to do the floor to ceiling tiles in our reno property. (I was going to do it). So after contacting *9* tilers, ONLY 4 came and gave quotes, the others did not bother turning up (or calling back). 1 was rediculously high and ONLY 1 actually measured properly - HE got the job :D

ian
14th October 2005, 07:03 PM
My thoughts are that the pool itself could be the retaining wall.
The sides of the pool want to bulge out at the bottom but the pool frame prevents this. Could the space between the pool and earth bank be backfilled with a free draining material? The water in the pool would then support the slope.

ian

AndrewPatrol
15th October 2005, 10:22 AM
I can see your logic Ian, but this one of those pools that has the thin metal walls with a liner and the odd upright for bracing. I cant even think how much water is inside it but theres heaps and if it got out of hand the people down the hill would not be impressed. I'd like to keep any thing I do independent of the pool if I can cos if it ever needs emptying ( to repair liner) then they are stuck.
Thanks any way, nice idea (outside the square) keeps the mental juices flowing over this problem.

soundman
15th October 2005, 09:54 PM
At 1 meter you might find link wall an appropriate solution. The good points are
its masonry so it wont rot or rust
lay a foundation & stack it up, simple installation.
its redoable, if there are problems in the later just pull it apart & start again.
cheers