PDA

View Full Version : Should this forum have online plans?

echnidna
9th October 2005, 01:50 PM
Should this forum have online plans?

craigb
9th October 2005, 03:28 PM
I voted: Too much work for the admins
Yes and
How would it be protected from copyright infringement

Thought I'd have a bob three ways :)

Nic0
9th October 2005, 03:35 PM
What if the forum only used original plans submitted by members?

Harry72
9th October 2005, 04:46 PM
Im sure theres a few here who'd like to post designs, but it may bring higher traffic(use more bandwidth)can the forum server cope with that?

Rowan
9th October 2005, 05:02 PM
I voted no, how hard is it to link to other sites with plans, we get a great site as it is lets not kill the whole thing with overworked administrators

Wood Butcher
9th October 2005, 05:49 PM
I voted no too. If you want free plans there are plenty of other places on the web that you can find them. Neil's got a great site going here, let's leave it the way it is.:D

gatiep
9th October 2005, 06:04 PM
I didn't vote as none of the options convey my sentiment. Firstly I would think the decision lies with Neil. Secondly, if online plans are like most the free junk plans in cyberspace it won't be worth the hassle. However if members have plans, designs etc of their own design that they want to share I'm sure no one will object and if it is your own creation no copyright will come into the equasion...........if you have copyright on it, you'll obviously not post the plan on here to be copied by all and sundry.

Zed
9th October 2005, 06:50 PM
i didnt vote, after all, we cant dictate to neil what he puts on the board can we ? however he does surprise us occasionally Ie rep points and open slather...

the copyright thing is too big to ignore, if its posted here neil is liable, I cant imagine he'd want that!

if you do come up with a plan and post it theres nothing stopping you doing it now anyway is there ? even so if you have a picture of something you should be able to make your own plan from the pic/photo. with autocad and photoshop you can even work out the dimensions these days...

graemet
9th October 2005, 09:13 PM
I'm with Zed on this one. Members can post their own pics or plans of original projects now where copyright is not an issue or they can offer them for sale like Rocker's rocker. This BB is getting pretty unweildy already, time was when you could keep up with everything in every forum each day, now you have to be selective or nothing else would get done. Have pity on the poor moderators. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif
Cheers,
Graeme

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th October 2005, 01:21 AM
I voted no, 'cos no matter who we are, we have no right to say the board "should" do this or "should" do that. That's entirely up to the owners. :rolleyes:

Apart from that, I agree with the ape. Nothing has stopped anyone from posting their own plans at any time, yet generally they haven't. Why introduce another dead forum?

And "monkey see, monkey do" is not restricted to the lower primates. :D Who needs plans when they've pics they can work off? It's not as though there's any shortage of pics on the board, some quite informative. If someone wants plans for info about "how do I..?" they only have to ask or do a search. That is what this board is about after all.

Ashore
10th October 2005, 01:50 AM
Could be a problem with size limit, and storage capacity
I think copyright issue too hard to police,
but agree with the pole , how is neil going to decide if the forum needs changing or could be improved without our feedback.
We now have an "Open Slather " forum because members asked for it ,

Food for thought bob and worth discussing

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Russell

doug the slug
10th October 2005, 11:40 PM
I voted no too, maybe because ive never really used any one elses plans for anything ive built anyway, and maybe because we users of the forum arent really in a position to dictate terms and overload the hard-working moderators.

If i see a piece of furniture that i like, i may use it as inspiration to make a similar piece. im not scared to go into shops with my tape measure and notebook but ive NEVER made a direct copy of anything ive seen. i always make improvements to make it suit my needs better and almost always change the dimensions, usually making them bigger.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon12.gif

corbs
11th October 2005, 12:33 AM
No for me... if you want em... google em. Unless we are talking about other members plans... then the issue becomes who creates plans?:rolleyes:

Corbs

burn
11th October 2005, 12:46 AM
This forum engenders a lot of respect for many of our esteemed posters. Members do post their 'plans' in the form of pictures, diagrams etc. Perhaps the question/poll should be, "Do we need another category of "Things I did - Ideas/plans/pictures". Does the existing category of "Woodword Pics" cover this or not?

If we did have such a "Plans category", we would have a single location were our other members can browse, as opposed to search, for 'things to do'.

barnsey
11th October 2005, 02:22 PM
I voted yes for the reasons in my post.

That is not to say I'm demanding more of Neil or the administrators at all. If a post is made to a particular forum specifically for that purpose then I'm sure Neil can word terms for those postings that remove copyright issues from the forum to the poster which is as it should be.

The fact is that anyone could now post pictures and or plans in any forum/post that does infringe copyright. A specific forum with a pointed disclaimer probably works in favour of the administrators, not against them.

At the end of the day we can all use plans in books provided they are not for commercial production, to be able to share those is a P2P priviledge as far as I'm aware of the recent decisions on music, DVD's etc. After all, we can all PM someone with details of a plan and it would largely be undetectable unless the recipient tried to publicise the item commercially.

I think I remember copies of a CD being replicated recently - not that I support it but it does happen and perhaps those sorts of things can be organised outside the forum rather than in it :rolleyes:

My 2c FWIW

Jamie

namtrak
11th October 2005, 03:37 PM
I voted yes cause I love seeing how other people layout jobs they do. I would only be interested in originals by people who post here regularly. Hold on, doesn't this happen already?

:D :D

meerkat
25th October 2005, 09:00 AM
I have never met Neil (whilst one day I hope .....) but 2 things should be pointed out (I am not speaking on behalf of anyone else).

1. I am assuming the forum was created for the benefit of the members and Neil etc know this

2. If the members feel that there is a case for a new feature etc, then they have the ability to put the case forward to the appropriate people

3. (I lost one finger on the table saw :D) Neil etc would review it and have the priviledge and more importantly the right to knock it back without having to justify their decisions.(AKA The judges decision is final)

Basically, there is nothing wrong with floating ideas because maybe just maybe theres a good one that comes out.

Personally if people have plans then they should keep a hold of them, let other members know and use the pm feature etc to organise delivery etc on a one on one basis.

Bugger my nose is bleeding, damn that soap box is high :D

Andrew

NewLou
25th October 2005, 09:33 AM
Gidday:)

Yup I'm a Big one for use of the PM system.....................I think we'd all be suprised by the wheeling; dealing and general natter
going on through the PM system.............Protects Neil but also protects US!!!

REgards Lou