PDA

View Full Version : Angular Contact Bearing Help

MWF FEED
30th July 2018, 12:40 AM
Im in a bit of a pickle. New bearings arrived for the CVA today. But it looks like they wont suit without serious modification. This isnt going to make much sense without a drawing but i wont be able to get it done until tomorrow.

All the (few) angular contact duplex pairs i have come into contact have had the same width inner and outer races, that is how my new Fafnir MM212WI are. But the original hoffman bearings have a significantly shorter outer race (1mm different). the back side of the inner and outer is flush (they are mounted back to back so all the faces that meet the spacers are flush) but the front face of each outer race is 1mm short)

the inner spacers are exactly 0.001" different in height (inner is smaller)

Initially i thought i could just make a custom outer spacer, but i cant, to fit what i have here i would have to alter the front spindle retainer plate, and possibly the headstock, or send the bearings out to have their outer races ground. has anyone seen this setup before?

Does anyone on the forum have a really really good surface grinder setup, im not really sure factory accuracy would survive grinding without extreme care.

Ill post more photos and detail tomorrow, and start calling around but i dont think im going to find any.

Regards and thanks - Ralph

Read the full thread at metalworkforums.com... (http://metalworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=202119&goto=newpost)