PDA

View Full Version : Mostly Printed CNC

DaveVman
2nd August 2018, 06:26 PM
Just out of curiosity, is there anyone here who has built a CNC from their own mostly 3D printed parts?

Ruffy
2nd August 2018, 06:30 PM
Currently in the process of printing all the parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lappa
2nd August 2018, 09:26 PM
There’s a site called “rep rap” which is interesting. The term term is used when you use a 3D printer to replicate 3D printer parts so you build another one and on it goes.
Most of the CNC frames and gantrys I see are made from aluminium with some 3D printed components

Ruffy
2nd August 2018, 09:38 PM
There is one out there which is known as MPCNC which is “Mostly Printed CNC” the web site is https://www.v1engineering.com (https://www.v1engineering.com).

It is designed to run a trimmer or spindle, the 2 most common routers are a DeWalt (not available in Aus) or a Makita RT0700CX which you can get from Bunnings, Sydney Tools etc.

The frame itself is made of stainless tube connecting through printed parts and misc hardware (ie bearings) all up for my build which is 900mm x 600mm x 90mm working area it should run to about $550 inc electronics etc.

I should add that the bigger the work area the less accuracy. The max rercommended size is 1000mm x 1000mm any thing bigger will require mid span supports.

On the site mentioned above he has plans etc for a full sheet (2400mm x 4800mm) CNC which from all my reading seems to be a good entry level machine for that size of work area.

Image of a completed one

I will post pics of the my completed printed parts (so far) in another post sometime in the next few days

BobL
2nd August 2018, 10:36 PM
My son took my 99% completed kit 3D printer away and got it working but he said it was too wobbly and so had to be run slowly and so could not print accurately.
The first thing he did was purchase all higher precision metal bits, rods, screws/threaded rods, and bearings which reduced the wobbliness.
After fitting the new bits he used it to reprint every possible part of teh printer that could be printed which improved it even more.
He did this cycle a couple of times and also increased the print area by about 50%.
Then he said it was too small and gave it back to me and bought a bigger one.
He did exactly the same with the new one including rewiring it and adding more sensors and alignment gizmos.
Now it's too small and he's looking to upgrade.

Mine is still sitting forlornly in my study and I have never used it.

arose62
3rd August 2018, 06:48 AM
Why not??

DaveVman
3rd August 2018, 09:26 AM
Image of a completed one

I will post pics of the my completed printed parts (so far) in another post sometime in the next few days

Yes. That's the one I'm looking at. I got a 3D printer from ALDI for $299. I'm currently trying to learn Fusion 360 and build up my skills with this. I'm looking at the MPCNC for the future. It puts a CNC within economic grasp.
I would love to see pictures of your build and read all the details including any problems and where you sourced the non printed bits.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Lappa
3rd August 2018, 10:50 AM
Just be careful of the stepper drivers you source. I’m currently in dispute re some drivers I bought that are POS. Spent days chasing errors that in fact were the drivers.
I’ll post some info in “proof of concept” thread if and when I finally resolve this issue.