PDA

View Full Version : Blade Wallet

NCArcher
6th August 2018, 12:19 AM
I had occasion to use my No. 46 combination plane recently and I had to choose the blade from the set that is kept in a plastic bag :o.
As I was between jobs (literally, because I quit my job and had the afternoon off before I started a new job the following day) I thought it was a good opportunity to give the blades a better home.

Hand stitched, veg tanned leather.
The blades have never been happier. I did have the blades in the other way, with the sharpened bevel out, but it made it a challenge to insert or remove a blade without losing some blood.

Chris Parks
6th August 2018, 12:52 AM
Looks good Tony, one hobby does something useful for another hobby.

Huon pine fan
6th August 2018, 12:28 PM
Gee, nice handiwork. I wouldn't be able to get a result like that with a sewing machine, not of course that my would let me use her's!

NCArcher
6th August 2018, 01:43 PM
I have an industrial sewing machine that could sew that thickness of leather but it is often easier to do one offs and small items by hand. I use a multi-pronged stitching chisel to make the holes which helps to keep it neat.
It is assembled using a saddle stitch which uses a needle on both ends of a single piece of thread. Fairly easy to do and much stronger than the running stitch used by a machine.

Lappa
8th August 2018, 11:48 AM
That stitching prowess should help with the little green number if it needs the hem taken up:cool:

NCArcher
8th August 2018, 05:21 PM
I'm a whiz on a machine. I do all the sewing around here. I've made several fancy dress costumes. Two of which won first prize. :)

Christos
8th August 2018, 05:44 PM
Wow. That's really nice.

q9
9th August 2018, 10:14 PM
nice work! I really must get myself a project to do

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

FenceFurniture
9th August 2018, 10:27 PM
fletty and I inspected said wallet a couple of days ago, and can confirm that is indeed "the goods". Very nice stitch-up (that even Gerry Harvey would be proud of) and good quality leather. The business end of the blades get nowhere near the stitching.

All up, an excellent job....... which has me thinking :think:

shanesmith80
11th August 2018, 09:01 PM
I'm a whiz on a machine. I do all the sewing around here. I've made several fancy dress costumes. Two of which won first prize. :)

I need a costume for the little one by 8:30 tomorrow morning.

FenceFurniture
11th August 2018, 09:21 PM
I need a costume for the little one by 8:30 tomorrow morning.Ya know, that probably could be rephrased for clarity....

yvan
12th August 2018, 09:56 AM
NC,

FF mentions that "...The business end of the blades get nowhere near the stitching. ..." . How is this achieved?

I happen to wear a leather apron in the shed and succeeded in cutting the bottom stitching of one of the breast pockets with the pointy end of a marking knife that I carry in there....

Cheers Yvan

NCArcher
12th August 2018, 10:07 AM
The pockets are stitched flat. The leather has to deform to allow the blade to fit in so the leather doesn't stretch enough for the blade to get close to the stitches. I originally made it to have the sharp end sticking out. I was going to sew a cover flap inside but it was still scary getting the blades out so I turned them around. I should have made it with a welt (strip of leather in between the back and the pocket to protect the stitches)on the bottom edge but as long as I'm careful getting the blades in and out it should be ok.

q9
16th August 2018, 12:52 PM
I usually run about 6-10mm of glue and stitch about 4-5mm from the edge, this way there is bonded area either side and much less chance of something contacting the stitching directly.

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk