PDA

View Full Version : Luthiery Workshop - progress report

kiwigeo
9th October 2005, 11:29 PM
I was hoping to have my guitar side bending jig up and running by now and some photos up here on the forum. Unfortunately Im off back to work in a few days so it will have to wait for 4-5 weeks.

Sitka spruce tops arrived last week along with Indian Rosewood back and side sets and some ebony fret boards. A second consignment of Sitka Spruce tops are is on its way from Canada.

After much experimentation I've managed to get humidity under control in the workshop. A dehumidifier runs intermittantly during the day to keep humidity at around 45-50% and at night a ceramic panel heater on the wall kicks in and keeps the temperature at around 18 deg C which seems to keep the humidity at about 45% without need for the dehumidifier. Seems to be doing the trick. An air conditioner will probably go in sometime during the summer.

Pics of the sidebender and hopefully a classical under construction when I get back home from work.

Cheers Martin

rick_rine
9th October 2005, 11:33 PM
I was hoping to have my guitar side bending jig up and running by now and some photos up here on the forum. Unfortunately Im off back to work in a few days so it will have to wait for 4-5 weeks.

Pics of the sidebender and hopefully a classical under construction when I get back home from work.

Cheers Martin

You live in the Adelaide hills and you WORK ? I thought you were all hippies . :)

kiwigeo
9th October 2005, 11:35 PM
You live in the Adelaide hills and you WORK ? I thought you were all hippies .

Used to be a haven for Hippies but I think they've all p*ssed off to Tassie
:D

corbs
9th October 2005, 11:55 PM

Sitka spruce tops arrived last week along with Indian Rosewood back and side sets and some ebony fret boards. A second consignment of Sitka Spruce tops are is on its way from Canada.

After much experimentation I've managed to get humidity under control in the workshop. A dehumidifier runs intermittantly during the day to keep humidity at around 45-50% and at night a ceramic panel heater on the wall kicks in and keeps the temperature at around 18 deg C which seems to keep the humidity at about 45% without need for the dehumidifier. Seems to be doing the trick. An air conditioner will probably go in sometime during the summer.

Cheers Martin

So you started this thread to tell us that its going to be another 4-5 weeks before we see anything:confused:... enjoy your next stint out on the rig;):D

Harry72
10th October 2005, 09:01 AM
Poor bloke... to go without makin sawdust for 4-5weeks, that be sad.

kiwigeo
10th October 2005, 05:50 PM
So you started this thread to tell us that its going to be another 4-5 weeks before we see anything:confused:... enjoy your next stint out on the rig;):D

Corbs,

Post was for a few people who are interested in seeing the finished side bender.

Will try and enjoy myself out on the rig.... :D

Auld Bassoon
10th October 2005, 08:14 PM
Hi KiwiGeo,

Ever thought about taking up whittlinghttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cheers and have a good stint!

kiwigeo
10th October 2005, 08:26 PM
Hi KiwiGeo,

Ever thought about taking up whittlinghttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cheers and have a good stint!

Whittling?? I guess some in here would get a kick of seeing pics of me whittling a $200 spruce top into sawdust :)