PDA

View Full Version : Compost tumbler problem

Tonyz
15th August 2018, 12:25 PM
Have a Osborne brand compost tumbler that gets too heavy to turn. Mine is earlier version than pic and does not have the ribs on the body.

so suggestions please on how I can improve this.

* cogs bolted onto body and winding handle?
* some type of rubber fixed (rivited/tex screwed) to body where small wheels are?
8 ???

rwbuild
15th August 2018, 12:44 PM
Get an old bicycle from your local tip and bolt large pedal sprocket to drum chain down to small sprocket with pedal arm mounted to small sprocket wheel hub

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th August 2018, 01:56 PM
Are the wheels fixed to the shaft - and the shaft rotates - or are they free-wheeling?

If the shaft rotates I'd replace it with something longer, extending it through the end-cap. That would give you something to either attach a crank to, if you don't mind cranking away for a while to see appreciable movement, or a sprocket/gear set up to give you a better ratio, (Heck, you could even motorise it! :D)

I'd try to avoid mechanisms 'inside' the frame for clearance issues and unless you have a tame engineer on call I doubt you'd be happy with the cogs on shaft & bin body approach.

Tonyz
15th August 2018, 02:15 PM
sometimes it pays to look closely at pics one posts.. On my one the shaft extends out the front left side and has a crank handle that rotates the fixed wheels, and the body is supposed to roll on the wheels, how that one turns I dont know?

I like the idea of bike sprockets and yes if I can find another couple at respectable price, Id love to have them all on one shaft and run by a small motor for 10 minutes each hour.