PDA

View Full Version : Tailstock slippage

Tiger
10th October 2005, 12:09 PM
Hey all,

Haven't used the lathe for a little while but I've noticed that the tailstock slips a little. The nut on the underside of the ways is quite large but can be tightened with a monkey wrench held at an angle. The nut appears to just be hanging on to the thread. Is there a simple way of fixing this? How tight should the nut be? There was a small amount of slippage when I first used the lathe but I thought that was normal. Should there be any slippage at all? Any advice appreciated.

barryr
10th October 2005, 12:56 PM
shouldn't be any slippage and the nut should be tight - it's for adjusting the tailstock position on the bed , without it being fairly done up the release handle wont get enough bite .

Cliff Rogers
10th October 2005, 01:41 PM
What is the lathe & how is the tailstock held?

I have a Jet mini that is 3 years old now.
The tailstock is held in place with a cam lock lever & I can't seem to get it done up tight enough by hand so I give it a bump with a rubber mallet. :cool:
I suppose I could make up a handle extension so I can give it a better 'tweak' to hold in place but I'm lazy. :D

Tiger
10th October 2005, 02:55 PM
Hi Cliff,

The lathe is a Hare and Forbes 900 b/w centres. The tailstock sits on the ways. It is attached to a thread that has a large nut at the end and that is all. Wish I did have a cam lock lever, anyone have any plans on how to make one?

Tornatus
10th October 2005, 11:49 PM
A while ago I had a similar problem, and one of our senior forum members suggested I replace the standard nut with a Nyloc equivalent. My specialty fasteners shop readily came up with a couple of the same size, thread pitch, etc as the original (take it in with you!) and it worked like the proverbial charm, both on the tailstock and the banjo.

barnsey
11th October 2005, 02:51 PM
I had the same problem with a H&F MC900 tool rest.

I coped with just loosening the cam lock lever by hand and tightening the nut underneath a little then reclamping. Certainly the nyloc nut will stop the problem because any vibration will work a normal nut loose.

The Taiwanese design in that area is perhaps a little less than it should be but is capable of doing the job if you just persist with the adjusting it.

Jamie

Tiger
11th October 2005, 03:54 PM
Barnesy,

Didn't know it had a cam lock. Will try your suggestion and see how it goes. Thanks.