PDA

View Full Version : Crushgrind Coffee and Crushgrind Barista mechanisms

Colin62
20th August 2018, 12:22 AM
I’m keen to turn a hand coffee grinder. I see that Crushgrind make coffee grinder mechanisms in addition to their pepper and spice grinders and was wondering if anyone had used them and had any feedback to offer, especially on choosing between the two different models they make.

Richard Hodsdon
20th August 2018, 02:36 AM
have a look at Piet Smith's website together with his ppt presentations. he is the local agent here in South Africa
https://www.peppermills.co.za/

Colin62
20th August 2018, 05:40 AM
Thanks Richard, I’ve seen Piet’s website. I even tried to order one a while back but my query must have fallen through the cracks somehow.

There are two different coffee grinder mechanisms now, and I’m hoping for some feedback from someone who has used one or both of them, so that I can decide which one I’d like to buy.

artme
20th August 2018, 10:05 AM
Just wondering about the speed of the powered sander method. Is it not going to present a problem with the heat generated, thereby causing surface cracking??

Richard Hodsdon
20th August 2018, 09:44 PM
Colin , I have only seen the Barista one which Piet or rather Charlie demo'd at AWSA last year. I bought a barista but haven't made it yet. They were designed for fitting to a "plastic" casting and Piet was the first to try it in wood last year. The handle is a bit sh**t and should be improved. I know I complained to Piet last year about answering his email and he promised to improve.
The Barista is very much the same as a Chrushgrind salt/pepper mill and there is a trick to fixing it in the turned piece, Charlie glues small pins in to locate and fix the mechanism. The Plastic casting has lugs that do the same.

Colin62
21st August 2018, 01:32 AM
Thanks Richard. I’ve ordered a Barista to try.

Colin62
22nd August 2018, 10:36 PM
The handle is a bit sh**t and should be improved.

The mechanism arrived this morning, Piet has arranged for improved crank handles from CrushGrind, and I reckon it’s pretty decent. I’ll post a pic or two later. I’m thinking of making a test one out of timber I don’t mind chucking away just to see how it goes before I start trying to drill a 46mm hole through sneezewood. :)

Richard Hodsdon
23rd August 2018, 02:00 AM
Colin , better make sure you get rid of all the Sneezewood dust before you make your first cup, or else it could be an explosive cup if the dust gets up your nose. lovely wood to turn

Richard Hodsdon
17th September 2018, 05:01 PM
Saw the picture of the Privet grinder you made on facebook. (Midland Guild) Yes the handle is much improved. Will have to get one from Piet

Colin62
18th September 2018, 02:16 AM
That piece of privet was just a trial run to see how it went together, but it was wet when I put the grinder in and I can’t get it out now that the wood has shrunk, so when I wanted to show everyone what the grinder mechanism looks like I had to include the privet. My final design calls for a receptacle at the bottom to collect the ground coffee, rather than have to hold it over a bowl. I think a properly functional coffee grinder is going to end up being a fair bit more work than a pepper grinder.