PDA

View Full Version : routers and bits

hopeless
10th October 2005, 07:29 PM
ok,here we go....my wife and i are totally new to woodworking but it is something we would like to get into in a small way,my wife already thinks shes a builder and i must admit shes more handy then i am,but anyway we would like some advice on routers and bits....1.a good quality router, 2.bits for picture frameing and decorative work,3.which is the best (a plunge router or bench router or both)and are variable speed routers better.we'd really appreciate any help from you guys.....thanks

Wood Butcher
10th October 2005, 08:27 PM
What router you buy depends a lot on your budget. The more you spend, the better the router you will buy. If you have a search of these forums there has been a lot of discussion on what routers are good. The same can be said for the bits.

Variable speed is definately an advantage, especially if you are planning to use larger diametre bits.

But If you are totally new to woodwork, consider what you will be doing and get something that is suited to your needs. No point buying a big triton router of you are only trimming laminate (just an example).

BTW - Good Luck and welcome aboard.:D

Richardwoodhead
10th October 2005, 09:43 PM
A very high quality mid-range powered and safe router for hand held edge work (and router table work) is the Festool OF1400. It's not cheap but you will definately feel comfortable using this as a first router. And ideal for frame / decorative type work (rather than more heavy duty stuff). It's ease of handling and easy start / stop (electronic brake on router bits!) are second to none.

Good luck with it.

Richard

soundman
10th October 2005, 10:28 PM
Hopeless.
Do youself a favour & grab a coppy of patrick spielman's Router basics of if you are feeling flush with cash router handbook.
I will answer a huge amount of the questions you will want to ask.
Of course take some of it with a grain of salt, some of the stuff is a bit dated but still esential reading for the beginner routerist.
cheers

David L
11th October 2005, 04:13 PM
Welcome hopeless.
Definately get the book(s) recomended by Soundman, esential reading.
I use a 1400w (2HP) variable speed 1/2 inch shank RYOBI plunge router with soft start.
$98.
If you find wood work is not your thing you have not lost much& if it is, you can buy a wizz bang one when it fails in yonky years.
It all depends on budget, and the amount of work it will do the important thing is to buy tools you can afford and enjoy your hobby.
David

hopeless
11th October 2005, 09:42 PM
thanks fellas for the advice....i'll definately get the book,it's my wife's birthday next monday....can you beleive it....she wants a router....she's got big ideas.
thanks again to the 4 of you....you've been a big help.

Gumby
11th October 2005, 09:47 PM
my wife's birthday next monday....can you beleive it....she wants a router....she's got big ideas.

I've never been into wife swaping but your wife could change my mind. :D :D

Ianab
11th October 2005, 10:00 PM
If you find wood work is not your thing you have not lost much& if it is, you can buy a wizz bang one when it fails in yonky years.

Get a decent mid size router.. then you can buy a light trimmer and a heavy duty beast later :D

One router is never enough :cool:

Ian

scooter
11th October 2005, 10:07 PM
Sounds appealling, doesnt' she Gumb?!

I reckon I know what I'd get if I gave the bride a router book for ther birthday....

Cheers.................Sean

echnidna
11th October 2005, 10:18 PM
I reckon I know what I'd get if I gave the bride a router book for ther birthday....

Cheers.................Sean

A bra for your birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ashore
12th October 2005, 01:41 PM
Hopeless
after you get your router you should be able to pick up a box set of 12 (or so ) diffrent 1/4" tungsten router bits for around $80 max, from any of the large hardwear stores. These will cover most jobs starting out, no need for more expensive special shapes until you both become profficient using routers.

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Russell

Trav
12th October 2005, 06:01 PM
my wife already thinks shes a builder and i must admit shes more handy then i am,

:eek: Are you crazy man?! Never admit that she is more handy than you? What else do we blokes have left? :D

My SWMBO (wife) would have trouble differentiating between a router and a circular saw. And I am planning on keeping it that way. She actually picked up the router the other day (we were moving), nearly dropped it, then asked what this 'grinder' was for. :eek:

Certainly not grinding!

If SWMBO really knew what the tools were and did, I would have no chance of getting any new toys oops tools. :D

Trav

hopeless
12th October 2005, 07:56 PM
that sounds good to me ASHORE thanks for the tip(so to speak)and again thanks for all your advice fellas,We're buying the router on saturday+A bench +the book so i'll let you know how all your advice has gone.