PDA

View Full Version : Some nice firewood

Acco
29th August 2018, 10:32 PM
Just put this hunk of timber in the fire, think it was Red Stringybark or Redbox from my uncle’s place near Swanpool.

It was about 200mm across and probably 350mm long, maybe 100mm thick.

Before you all start denouncing me, I go through this process all year round, every year and it doesn’t get any easier. I’ve got to make a dollar and I’d run out of space.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/4d23ab1599fd07ec4e607f66d4d91623.jpg

fubar
29th August 2018, 10:51 PM
yep i do it as well

dai sensei
29th August 2018, 11:49 PM
Start looking into selling knife scale blanks. Knife makers aren't as stingy as woodturners and love timber with fiddle

Acco
29th August 2018, 11:54 PM
Start looking into selling knife scale blanks. Knife makers aren't as stingy as woodturners and love timber with fiddle

Next time you’re in Melbourne, come and see me and take me through the process of process of making them.

dai sensei
29th August 2018, 11:59 PM
Next time you’re in Melbourne, come and see me and take me through the process of process of making them.

I'll be down late Nov or Dec and probably stay until after Xmas & NYE

Mobyturns
30th August 2018, 07:41 AM
As they say "one mans firewood is another wood workers treasure." :oo:

Shame to see such interesting fiddle back go in the fire, but finding wood turners / workers with short pockets and long arms is a tall order. :rolleyes:

double.d
30th August 2018, 11:25 AM
Couple of nice box lids in there.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th August 2018, 11:41 AM
Yep. It can be a hard choice alright.

We've gone through about 6m of firewood, mainly Ironbark, this year. At least 1m of it has been beautifully fiddlebacked, which is heartbreaking considering that I've been mainly turning small, finialled, "gobletty" things lately and the grain is just not suitable for this.

Naturally I've cherry-picked a few pieces and put 'em aside, but in general I can only have so many large turned items lying around before they become eligible candidates for the fireplace... :rolleyes:

Fumbler
1st September 2018, 04:31 AM

Possibly cos they got no money left after forking out for all the tools needed to do their tasks - lathes, tools, chucks, this that and the other. I've found turning to be like owing a boat, - Break Out Another Thousand. funnily enough I do both, i have a boat and I turn wood. hahaha

woodPixel
1st September 2018, 10:20 AM
You are all mad. Sell it on Gumtree.

cjbfisher
1st September 2018, 10:30 AM
I cried a little on the inside when you said that piece went in the fire.:bawl:

woodPixel
1st September 2018, 02:55 PM
Can I suggest that you slice these into knife scales?

The guys who sell on Ebay, Etsy and the knife forums are chopping up excellent and beautiful timbers into scales simply because they get a better return.

It is of course, a complete HERESY. An obscenity and affront that perfectly good box timber is treated in such a manner, BUT for these odd pieces that have lots of cracks, inclusions and scabby bits, slicing into scales makes sense.

PLUS if you drive the price down by flooding the market, they will be pleased.

Simplicity
1st September 2018, 09:17 PM
I would love your firewood pile[emoji849][emoji849][emoji41]