PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast Tailstock Help...

DecoyDave
30th August 2018, 06:20 PM
Anyone have any idea where i might source a replacement Woodfast lathe tailstock(as pictured).
Or does anyone have one laying around collecting dust that they might want to offload?
I have no model details unfortunately but the center line is ~155mm above bed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave.

artful bodger
30th August 2018, 07:57 PM
What is wrong with the one you have there?.

DecoyDave
30th August 2018, 08:04 PM
There was nothing wrong wit it. But unfortunately it parted company with the lathe somewhere between Sydney and it's new home on the mid north coast.

artful bodger
30th August 2018, 08:31 PM
Oh, that's a bimmer. As far as I know woodfast still makes lathes. Perhaps you might contact the factory to see if they can help out.
The original tailstock must be somewhere though. Who would steal a tailstock without a lathe? Not many, if any. Makes no sense. I guess it could have rattled loose if it were on the top of a open flat tray truck and ended up in a ditch on the side of the road?.
How many klms between where you bought it and home?. Nearly worth a look perhaps?

Colin62
30th August 2018, 08:40 PM
How many klms between where you bought it and home?. Nearly worth a look perhaps?
A quick look on google maps says it’s somewhere between 200 and 500 km. probably a bit far to walk along the side of the road looking for it.

If it did fall off the truck, I’d be hoping that no-one phones up and says that it’s lodged in their windscreen and could you please pay for the repairs. :)

DecoyDave
30th August 2018, 09:11 PM
Oh, that's a bimmer. As far as I know woodfast still makes lathes. Perhaps you might contact the factory to see if they can help out.
The original tailstock must be somewhere though. Who would steal a tailstock without a lathe? Not many, if any. Makes no sense. I guess it could have rattled loose if it were on the top of a open flat tray truck and ended up in a ditch on the side of the road?.

Roughly 320km, and i was the seller. The buyer called me today to confirm that the tailstock was attached when we loaded it onto his trailer. It was.
It must have rattled loose and come off sideways because the tailstock was pushed up against the headstock and he had straps across the bed.
I do hope it went in a ditch and not under someones car.

DecoyDave
30th August 2018, 09:13 PM
A quick look on google maps says it’s somewhere between 200 and 500 km. probably a bit far to walk along the side of the road looking for it.

If it did fall off the truck, I’d be hoping that no-one phones up and says that it’s lodged in their windscreen and could you please pay for the repairs. :)

Indeed, hopefully it was big enough to be seen and avoided.

China
30th August 2018, 10:20 PM
Woodfast no longer exist they are now woodworking solutions the modern Chinese version may well fit give them a call they are usually pretty helpful Home (http://www.woodworkingsolutions.com.au/)

Nubsnstubs
31st August 2018, 12:00 AM
You need 2 dimensions to match up a tail stock. One would be the swing, which you already mentioned. The other is the width between the ways. If you can find a tail stock, brand doesn't matter, with those 2 dimensions matching, get it and start using your lathe.
Banjos are even easier. All you need it the dimension of the ways clamp to make it work....... Jerry (in Tucson)

joe greiner
31st August 2018, 03:58 PM
You need 2 dimensions to match up a tail stock. One would be the swing, which you already mentioned. The other is the width between the ways. If you can find a tail stock, brand doesn't matter, with those 2 dimensions matching, get it and start using your lathe.
Banjos are even easier. All you need it the dimension of the ways clamp to make it work....... Jerry (in Tucson)

If you can match the swing only, the part that fits between the ways can be modified:
If too large, grind to fit;
if too small, build up with J-B Weld and sand to fit.

Cheers,
Joe

NeilS
20th September 2018, 08:27 PM
Woodfast no longer exist they are now woodworking solutions the modern Chinese version may well fit give them a call they are usually pretty helpful Home (http://www.woodworkingsolutions.com.au/)

Woodfast as a company name may no longer operate, but Graham & Steve who go way back at Woodfast now own and run Woodworking Solutions. They know Woodfast lathes and can answer your question, ie if there is an answer.

The date of manufacture is usually stamped in the end of the bed rails.