PDA

View Full Version : I still hate mitres.

maglite
11th October 2005, 12:06 AM
Yep......I hate mitres with a passion but after many hard yards and a lot more MDF skirting than i had bargained for.......final fixing is upon me.

I seek opinions on what would be easier with regard to fixing:

1.Glue the sucker using sikaflex

2.Glue with sikaflex with nails to hold it in place

3. Nail the ba**ards so tight to the wall they will never come loose

All suggestions very welcome.

Steve

Ashore
11th October 2005, 12:57 AM
Super cheap have a 50mm brad gun at around $60
These will hold them if you put one in every 2nd or 3rd stud
You don't want them too tight cause one day you may want to replace them being mdf and all, let alone carpets , damaged wall panels, if they get wet and swell etc...
You can go with 50mm or 75mm nails, but I find using more brads gives as good a hold, less chance of damaging the surface, easier to do and less to fill before painting.

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Ashore

Trav
11th October 2005, 12:43 PM
I'm planning on using my SCA brad gun to fix all my new skirting boards maglite. Hopefully the 50mm brads will be long enough to get into the studs.

Trav

ThePope
11th October 2005, 04:27 PM
I imagine your going through gyprock into timber...
50 mm brads with a thin bead of PVA along the back edge for either your skirting or architraves, will hold forever.

Yep......I hate mitres with a passion but after many hard yards and a lot more MDF skirting than i had bargained for.......final fixing is upon me.

I seek opinions on what would be easier with regard to fixing:

1.Glue the sucker using sikaflex

2.Glue with sikaflex with nails to hold it in place

3. Nail the ba**ards so tight to the wall they will never come loose

All suggestions very welcome.

Steve

Fordy
11th October 2005, 07:55 PM
I am currently using liquid nails and brad nails from a gun and its working fine..
But I think I got ripped off on the gun 170.00 from bunnys

Trav
12th October 2005, 09:44 AM
$170 does sound a bit harsh. I got a dodgy compressor, staple gun, brad gun plus a few other bits and pieces for that price at Supercheap auto. However, your gun may be of a better quality - I haven't used mine a great deal I have to admit.

Trav

maglite
12th October 2005, 04:16 PM
Many thanks for all of the replies guys.
I have had a compressor + brad gun on backorder for the past month, hence my frustration at not being able to finish the job properly.

2.5HP /40ltr compressor + finishing gun for the princely sum of $270.00
from the local auto parts place.
Yep, its a cheapy, but it wont be getting used all that much and i couldnt justify having a $500 + compressor lieing idle in the shed.

Cheers
Steve