PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc VL850 upgrade

warrick
7th September 2018, 12:31 AM
So I purchased a Vicmarc VL850 lathe which I had let sit in the shed for 10yrs till I got it out to play with in Feb.
Being unemployed, I went to the local arts group which had wood turning as one of it's classes to refresh my high schools wood turning skills.
I got hooked and soon got sick of changing belts so I decided to upgrade the lathe to EVS with a VFD and 3 phase motor.
I built cabinets into the base and made a control panel on the cnc so now I have a Vicmarc VL850 Mk II EVS :D:D:D

Rick

441925 What it was

441926 What it is now

Paul39
7th September 2018, 09:19 AM
Very nice. Beautiful paint job. I have a concern about heat build up if you do not have a high up vent. Motors and especially electronics do not do well if overheated. After your normal use for an hour or two check how warm the VFD controller gets.

warrick
7th September 2018, 10:10 AM
Very nice. Beautiful paint job. I have a concern about heat build up if you do not have a high up vent. Motors and especially electronics do not do well if overheated. After your normal use for an hour or two check how warm the VFD controller gets.

No need to worry Paul, there is an air gap to the right of the VFD. If it does need more air flow I can easily fit a vent in the rear :)

Rick

hughie
7th September 2018, 11:30 PM
No need to worry Paul, there is an air gap to the right of the VFD. If it does need more air flow I can easily fit a vent in the rear :)

Rick

Watch out for dust build up in there, you may have to refine the vents to keep the ingress of dust at a minimum

warrick
8th September 2018, 12:03 AM
Watch out for dust build up in there, you may have to refine the vents to keep the ingress of dust at a minimum
Already thinking about that Hughie, if need be I will put vents and filter with a fan to push the air flow through.

Rick

artful bodger
8th September 2018, 12:14 AM
Looks like it is ready to start turning wood.

Christos
11th September 2018, 11:46 AM
I like the upgrade.

Ten years is a long time to wait before getting the lathe unpacked.

Paul39
11th September 2018, 12:43 PM
I like the upgrade.

Ten years is a long time to wait before getting the lathe unpacked.

Sometimes life gets in the way.

warrick
11th September 2018, 01:04 PM
Sometimes life gets in the way.

You are right there Paul, but when something like a vicmarc comes up on gumtree in your price range you just have to get it. :)

Rick

Paul39
11th September 2018, 01:09 PM
You are right there Paul, but when something like a vicmarc comes up on gumtree in your price range you just have to get it. :)

Rick

Absolutely, I have a few things under a tarp outside that have been there for years.

tony_A
11th September 2018, 02:43 PM
Nicely done Rick.
Is the speed readout taken from the spindle or the VFD? If from the spindle, how did you set up.

Tony

warrick
11th September 2018, 02:52 PM
Nicely done Rick.
Is the speed readout taken from the spindle or the VFD? If from the spindle, how did you set up.

Tony
Spindle speed
I used one of these with a small strong magnet. It's in a temp state atm but will post some pics when I mount it permanently
Rick

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Digital-LED-Tachometer-RPM-Speed-Meter-NPN-Hall-Proximity-Switch-Sensor-AU/282890676700?hash=item41dd9929dc:g:T24AAOSwXaxasfBe