PDA

View Full Version : clamping ?

Tonyz
11th October 2005, 01:46 PM
SWMBO or SW(will)BO :rolleyes: God bless her... is into the Arbortech mini carver but needs something to hold/clamp etc thin branches or peices of tree so that she can carve to her hearts cointent safely. :)
My thoughts were something that clamped to a bench with a swivell head that also had a clamp/vice type thing on it that could hold the thin peices of wood.
Any ideas please I'd rather spend money than have her loose part of herself because the mini carver sliped or similar :eek: Tonto

Andy Mac
11th October 2005, 02:17 PM
Hi Tonto,
As you've pointed out security is paramount with power carving. Attached is an easy clamp that can be fitted with various jaws at a suitable spot on your workbench. I have this setup for the end of one of my shaving horses.
Failing the modified bolt & nut assy. (easy with a welder:) ), a standard bolt will work, but you need a spanner each time. Alternatively, make the jaws and forego the thru-bolt, but mount it vertically in a normal vice. A large rubber band, or a segment of an innertube around the assembly will help locate the stick while the vice is tightened.
Good luck!

Sprog
11th October 2005, 05:03 PM
The Triton Super Jaws are great for using with the Arbortech carvers. You can get all around the work safely.
One of those cheap "workmates" with Andys clamp would work well giving all round access.
Using one of the above also gives the advantage of being able to work outside thus keeping the workshop clean :)

schaf
11th October 2005, 09:15 PM
Both good answers. Your choice.
Terry

backpack
4th November 2005, 04:23 PM
I am also a relatively new user of the abortech. I have the found the Triton Super Jaws to be the answer. It does the job more than adequately, occasionally it gets a bit trickly to clamp. You can move the piece around to access different angles. I suggest you get a hold of one, there is an additional clamping tool that can be attached to this as well. I think the Super Jaws are around the $200.00 mark. Best of luck with the carving - it's great fun.

backpack
7th November 2005, 07:40 AM
Dear All,

Anyone with clamping queries should go to the following link:
http://burlsburlsburls.freespaces.com/

The website belongs to a member of this forum - Rowan.

I found it very helpful and informative.

Kath